Best way to stop an AC motor...FAST

SLaubach

Guys-
need to stop a motor in an emegency situation quickly. the motor is in a saw mill and it runs a blade. would you recommend A - using a drive with injection braking or B - plug stop it with a reversing starter?

thanks in advance
slaubach

i'm sorry i should have metioned there is a mechanical brake, this would assist the brake if it were to fail.
thnx

Steer clear of using a plug stop with a reversing starter, far more trouble than it's worth and I've never seen one work as well as injection braking coupled with a mechanical brake, which would be the way I would want to go if I were you.

OK
ASSUMPTION # 1 lessee sawmill -- blade -- well the most common I saw in sawmills was circular, though there were band type (generally on head rig or resaw) and also shears.
ASSUMPTION # 2 am going to assume that you want to stop this to keep peoples fingers attached to their hands.
ASSUMPTION # 3 am going to assume worst case ie a shear doing 12" per sec AND you wnt to stop it in within 1/8". I think that could be called FAST (you didn't define it so,,,,,,,,)
ASSUMPTION #4 this is for emergency only, keeping fingers attached is prime important, damage to machinery is secondary.

Given the above assumptions I would
1. Use a big (I mean BIG) brake as close to shear or whatever it is. This thing is going to do a crash stop RIGHT NOW. This may tear up the drive train but see #4 above.
2. You could add plugging to #1 to save wear and tear on machnes at cost of contactor wear and maybe a burned motor. Plugging is not the end of the world -- crane operators do it all the time - whether or not the motor and contactors are designed for it. Good job security for electricians though. Have seen it done on a LARGE metal roll in a boiler shop - worked great.
3. This is for emergency only - once you trip this the machine CANNOT be restarted by operator -- maintenance has to inspect and ensure no damage, open the controller and reset the circuit using a keyed switch.

Dan Bentler

Buy a brake motor. Stopping it at the motor end is best because if there is least amount of torque there. After gear boxes and pulley's there is much more torque so you need much more friction, even though the horses or kw (in heat)is about the same.

We use reverse plugging to stop a rubber mill (200 hp, inward rolling rolls, 1/2" gap, rolls are about 7' long and 3'o.d.). It slams to a stop and reverses a little by design. It's not very repeatable, and when the plugging switch wears, it can be a pain to replace and adjust correctly. I have seen a slo-mo video of what it does to an ac motor rotor when it's suddenly reversed, and it's very brutal. We test our mill safety stop at least twice a week, but haven't had any major failures caused by the plugging stop. The operators actually measure the stopping distance and the reversal distance and it must fall within certain specs or maintenance is performed. Like I said, the repeatability is not great. It may stop within 45 degrees once, (final driven roll rotation) and the next time may travel only 10 degrees. Sometimes the reverse distance is nearly zero, other times it can be as much as 90 degrees. I would not recommend it for stopping a sharp blade, unless an additional brake could be used to hold the blade once stopped. Unless you can set it up for a known, constant load, repeatability is impossible.

I have tried DC injection braking on 1hp motors, and did not like the performance due to the frequency of stopping in my application. I could not use enough current to obtain the stopping power I needed without overheating the motors. (That application used DC braking at the end of index motions that occured every ten seconds). An infrequently used DC injection type braking method should provide a very quick stop, though.

In a safety application, what happens if the drive faults when you ask it to perform DC injection braking? Is it still safe? I think a mechanical fail-safe brake is the only way to go for personnel safety. For a quick stop for machine protection or other production related reasons, dynamic braking resistors or dc injection would probably do the best job if mechanical braking can't be installed. JMHO

From a Different World

My work is in Fluid Power but try this scenario anyway.

Could you use a Clutch/Brake that would make it possible to only stop the Blade? I have seen this arrangement on Punch Presses where the Flywheel and Driving Motor is allowed to keep turning and the Crankshaft and its attached mechanism is all that is stopped. It appears to be very repeatable and very quick though not as high RPM as a Saw Mill Blade.

Fluidpower is right on target. Punch press have a flywheel running at about 400 RPM and can stop within ±5 degrees repeatable.

I wonder if anyone has ever built a disk brake system? You have a blade/rotor and maybe could attach a set of brake pads:
motor current is Off
DC inject is On
disk brakes On
Blade clamp nut flys off

I would not use plugging often, plays heck with the motor windings - but then, you DID say EMERGENCY

Rod

I think that something important is being missed here. Whenever you are doing electrical braking and motoring, the motor must be sized for the larger of the two torques. In the saw blade application, the braking torque may well be larger than the motoring torque.

Size the motor to develop the needed braking torque with DC injection and then use the motor lightly loaded maybe even with an overcurrent trip to avoid too much motoring torque when sawing.

If I was doing a job like this, I would specify a mechanical safety brake on the backside of the motor only for power failure situations. This would provide minimum routine maintenance and still cover most possibilities.

Sounds like clutch/brake to me, if it is a saw you want to stop....

E-stop tripped - clutch releases - brake brings blade to a stop.

Seperate the blade from the drive, right?

I use this in a VFD application. VFD controls speed while I need accuracy on the stop. App goes like this

Dia of moving part - .5 meter
Rev Per Min - 1,000
Over motion - .8 r .9 meter = 1.3(4) rev.

Just a thought

Make sure to latch it off after an e-stop. The inertia of the balde can work on the mounting hardware with a quick stop. Put a procedure in to Tag and Lock it out until inspected. Just restarting could cause the blade to come loose.