Donwtime data collection

sweety616

I need to collect the downtime data for a packaging machine. Could anyone of you supply me with a sample code with explanation for me to start with? I am new to this and really need some help from you guys.

We gotta have some kind of information about the control system if you want examples. The more specific your details are, the better response you'll get...

Determine the parameters under which you will determine the machine is down, such as being idle for 10 minutes, motor stopped, or some other paramter.

There are two kinds of down time. Planned, and unplanned.

Unplanned downtime should have a few cause codes, such as:
operator unavailable
break down
unplanned tooling maintenace.
In the event that an unplanned downtime is detected, the operator has to select a cause code to proceed.

Allow time to change parts and reload material - this is part of operating the machine, even if the machine is stopped, and should not be counted as downtime.

Planned downtime might include
Set-up
First article inspection
Product unavailable
Planned maintenance
Operator break/lunch

Planned dowtime does not genearally count against the overall equipment efficiency, while unplanned downtime does.

I hope that helps get you started. Once you have what you need sketched out we will be able to give you more help.

I have made stuf like that. Includes timers, starting and stoping times for every day during one month. Beginning of a new mont it is 10 days time to copy data inide from PLC to PC adn see stuff from Excel.

But yes, you should be more accurate, what do you want

Well, it would help to know how much you have to spend on the "Logging".

A simple way is to add code to the plc to do this create code that will increment a retentative memory area (if AB SLC500 then use integer files (e.g. N7)or mitsubishi use Dwords (D0 to Dxxx, check they are retentative) or siemens use Datablocks).

If you use 3 memory areas for each data logged (hh:mm:ss) this could be a simple thing like if machine stopped on error, increment one word every second, if this reaches 60 then increment second word by 1 & reset first word Hey a "clock" in mins & seconds).
These could then be displayed on an HMI or if you have plenty of money a Scada package or simply iterrogated using a pc & the programming software.
one other thing you will need to reset these as they will eventualy roll over
even better is to build up a second set & on say sunday night at midnight, move the counts to a second set of words & reset the first to zero hey presto a stored set of downtimes for the last week.