machine donwtime

geekwannabe

we have 3 machines that i use RS%)) on, we want to have a timer display for " downtime/runtime due to breakdown and repair, or changeover of die. im not sure the best way to do this with rs500. any advice?

Welcome to the forum. It really depends on the type of machine your are working on. You could start a timer at the end of a cycle that is reset at the start of the next cycle. You could then evaluate the accumulated value of that timer and if it exceeds a certain value, require the operator to select a reason code on the HMI. Once the reason code is selected, the accumulated time is added to a holding register that accumulates the overall downtime for that code. One register would be used for each reason code. You could also have another timer that records the running time and adds the accumulated running time to another register. All of those values could be displayed on the HMI and be reset on conditions you choose.

It may be helpful if you tell us what you want to display this information on is it an HMI or some Scada system or DB logging ?.
As others have sort of stated, to decipher the data then you need to be able to split them into the following Alarm stoppage (pretty simple any alarm & machine stopped), changeover (again pretty simple but it would probably need some form of initiation i.e. either a maintenance mode or operator selection to know it is in changeover). Stopped time again pretty simple just no alarms & stopped.
Examples for holding information would be registers for each i.e.
Stopped time
Run time
Alarm time
Changeover time
Simply just increment a register(s) for each of the above i.e. format could be HH:MM:SS (3 registers per field).
I don't think you need high accuracy especially if these are regularly reset say on a shift basis or weekly basis, another thing is to store perhaps the last 10 times for each of the above just for a bit of history to look back on, if you are looking for longer & more detailed analysis then logging to an SQL database is what you want or even csv files perhaps on a PC.
Some HMI's can store information on a memory card in csv format this could be copied & loaded into say a spreadsheet.

The problem with this that I have personal experience with in meetings with the owner over excessive downtime logged by this exact type of system is when the machine is not running the operator has to click on the reason why - and the first item on the list, and easiest to click on, was Under Repair.

Unless you can program in a way for the PLC to determine the reason without relying on operator laziness it is not going to be accurate or usable information,