TP270 Loading CE Programs

RussC

I have been trying to load a PDF viewer into a TP270 display and have had no luck. I am unable to make the PC Link connection between the PC and the TP270. I have tryed several versions of microsoft active syc. I am using a serial crossover cable pluged into the IF2 port on the TP270 which is how the Siemens rep said it should be hooked up. Is there anyone that has got this to work?

I do not know the exact answer. However, Windows CE is 'Processor Specific'. So you will need a viewer that is compatable with the processor in the TP270. You should be able to get the correct one from the manufacturer.

At this point I need to overcome the problem of getting the PC Link program to communicate with my PC before I can load the program.

I do not think the TP or OP 270 "Panels" will support WinCE applications. I think you need to use the MP270/370 "Multi-Panel". I checked in the Siemens HMI catalog and the "Multi-Panel" description seems to support this. Here is a link to Siemens FAQ for Displaying PDF files on a Multi Panel (Entry ID: 13738258, Date: 8/22/2005). You may want to e-mail the Simatic Hotline or more thoroughly question your distributor since he told you it was possible to run WinCE applications on a TP.

I have not installed a PDF view on a Siemens HMI, but I have on Xycom HMI running Windows CE. As you noted, it required ActiveSync and the serial cable. For some reason unknown to me, ActiveSync would not connect unless I tried three or four times in a row. Maybe I'm just lame with it.

The cross-over cable (or null modem cable) should work - if you mean pins 2 to 3, 4 to 6, and 7 to 8 swap going from one 9-pin port to the other 9-pin port.