AB Ethernet communications

rdrast

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does anyone know any way to send a text string to a target device over ethernet using either a ControlLogix ENBT card or a PLC5 with a NET-ENI module?

I've been sitting here trying, but not having any luck. A MSG instruction (in Logix5k) doesn't have any way to just send a block of data to a device without packaging, and in the PLC5, I can't seem to figure out how to specify the target address.

These are simple messages to a display, with no handshaking.

Any ideas?

ENBT does not support ASCII, it support only CIP messages.

New firmware for 1756-EWEB (3.x) will support it with socket interface.

I was hoping there was some way, similar to the email, but without actually trying to hook to a socket, as my slave device just listens. No such luck, oh well.

Thanks though.