Studio 5000 Ethernet Eaton VFD DG1 communications

stayclashy80

Hey everyone! So I'm trying to get different data from my Eaton DG1 VFD to my studio project. So far my research has led me to something called "assembly instance" My project right now uses asm 23 OT - 73 TO for the input and output assembly instances. Problem is these instances do not have motor current data. I would like to add another instance with 111 OT - 127 TO. According to the eaton manual these will provide me with motor data including amps. I don't know enough about it and I'm scared that it wont let me add another connection without deleting and/or corrupting the original connection. Anyone have any experience on this? Thanks

s.png t.png

You only show Assembly Instance 23 - 3 words
Assembly is a control out to the VFD
Word 0 bit 0 Run Forward
Word 0 bit 1 Run Reverse
Word 0 bit 2 Fault Reset
The remaining bits 3 -15 are not used

Word 1 Speed Reference (Low Byte Value ) as Motor RPMÂ’s
Word 2 Speed Reference (High Byte Value ) as Motor RPMÂ’s

You did not show Assembly 73
I would Assume that Word 0 and 1 are Status Bits
Running For , Running Reverse, Faulted and other status bits
And that would words 2 and 3 I would assume they are the Output Motor Speed in RPMÂ’s

There should be another assembly that would give you Both Output Motor Speed and Motor Load Amps
There should be an assembly that will give to Output speed, load , and Torque

Without more details information it would be hard to give you more details
Good Luck

Hey everyone, thanks for the responses. So as far as I understand the assembly instances that were used when this drive was setup are 23 OT and 73 TO. The manual shows that the OT is the output and TO is the input. The 73 input assembly instance does not get motor current data. i attached a screenshot of the 73 assembly instance. I know what I need to do but from the manual its more of an initial setup of communications for the VFD to the plc. I dont have any experience with this so I was hoping for someone who knew about this particular issue and wether or not I can add a new assembly instance or replace the original assembly instance without messing up the program since its running the equipment correctly right now.

What yo need to do is setup a custom module
using different assemblies
the manual was posted here and one of the assemblies dos read in the motor amps
the predefined modules are fine but sometimes they don't have what you need
you just need to set it up

So I called Eaton support hotline and they told me I cant add a second communications connections assembly instance. They said I would have to replace the one I'm currently using. When I replace it the tags will most likely not match up in the program so I would also have to modify the ladder logic to match the new assembly instances. Ugh. So at least I know now. I'm planning on picking the least critical VFD and doing the new assembly instance and changing the ladder logic to match. yeesh what a pain in the arse. I have 25 VFD's that I need to change. haha. Thanks for the help everyone!

They are right you can only have communication connection
you will have to delete the origenal and then create a new one
that dos mean that you will need to modify your origenal program

There is also a AOI on Eatons website for setting up DG1's in logix 5000. Works nice..... Saves a little time, and cleans things up a bit. Go to the DG1's website, then resource's, then software and firmware.

Last edited: