AB Studio 5000 - ETHERNET-MODULE vs ETHERNET-BRIDGE

jakeparsons03

I am communicating from a 1756 Control Logix to a Grundfos pump skid via the Grundfos CIM-500 expansion card. I have never done Ethernet/IP comms to systems that don't have AOPs before so this is all new to me. Right now I am trying to set up this device in my IO tree.

In doing this, I have a handful of questions.

1- I know that I need Input/Output/Configuration data size. My technical specs document gives me 505 bytes out/509 bytes in/ max 255 bytes IO data per assembly. If we are dealing with 32 bit sizes (according to the generic ethernet module) then I have to divide the bytes by 4 and it doesn't come out to a whole number. Also not sure where the assembly instance falls into that or really what that is.

2 - What is the difference between the ETHERNET-MODULE and the ETHERNET-BRIDGE devices.

Looking into this module, you should be able to download an EDS file from the manufacturer per their guide. Grundfosliterature-6206175.pdf which can be downloaded here:https://api.grundfos.com/literature/Grundfosliterature-6206175.pdf

"For this product, an associated Electronic Data Sheet file
(Grundfos_EIP_Pump_Adapter_EDS.eds) can be downloaded
from the Grundfos Product Center. "

Once you install the EDS you can add the pump with everything pre-configured. This will help you significantly.

Otherwise you can use the information you have to set up a generic ethernet module and then follow the communications guidelines also in the manual. Use those guidelines in conjunction with the rockwell resource to set up generic modules found in this guide: https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/at/enet-at001_-en-p.pdf

As far as your second question, I'm not a network guru so someone else can likely explain it better. Here's my understanding:
A bridge will bridge two similar networks without the ability for advanced routing and will not support many connections. It works on OSI layer 2, just bridging the data link layer of two similar networks.

An Ethernet module typically has full switch capabilities and functions as a layer 3 device which has the ability to perform network functions and handle more connections and traffic.

I'll go a little more basic with my explanation...

An ETHERNET-MODULE is a specific device we want to talk to. You use this to talk with one specific ethernet device.

An ETHERNET-BRIDGE is a device we will communicate through to get to potentially many (non-ethernet) devices on the other end.

Think of a ControlLogix talking to a remote I/O chassis. Normally I add my bridge module to my local chassis where my CPU is located. That allows any device in my local chassis to communicate with devices outside of the chassis. Then I add my remote bridge module to the remote chassis. That then allows me to communicate with any devices in that remote chassis. I am going through the bridges to get access to the devices on the other end. Then I add one of the remote chassis digital input cards. Now I can talk to that one specific device.

OG

Last edited:
You have saved me a massive headache. Thank you!

Funny enough I tried downloading the support files many times before. At the time I didn't really know what was in them but I figured that I needed them. They never worked. I went in today and the download worked. MegaByte I just need you to stand over my shoulder whenever I have an issue.