question about a NO contact

lkandy

does anyone know what is a normally open contact with a arrow pointing up means.is it oneshot or holding contact.........

if your talking about this ^ in a contact | | or coil ( ) its called positive edge or.... depending on brand...yes its a one shot.

If it were relating to an electrical schematic, it COULD be referring to a timed contact (delay on energise etc).....just a thought! o_O

If it is related to a microswitch or pushbutton then the arrow indicates "positive opening" this means that if the contacts weld then the mechanical operation of the switch will still force the contacts apart. This is the sort of contact used in safety circuits such as on guard limit switches and on e-stop pushbuttons

If it's on an electrical schematic that shows control wiring, then it's a timed contact, refer to the name/number associated with the contact to find the timer. The arrow, either up or down designates wether it closes before or after the timer has timed out.

If it's a program schematic, then it's probably a one-shot.

I need to see the switch.

There is also a NO switch with a 'bent' arrow for toggle or joy-stick I think.

Rod (confused again)

Guys,
Now look at what has been said: "This symbol means this...or that..depending on the brand...if in a schematic...how it is used.."

The bottom line on symbols: There is no such thing as a "standard" meaning. They mean what the user says they mean, and if you don't know what s/he meant, you better ask them.