Ab 1500 Rs-232

theaxel

Wow, thats a lot of typing I just lost..

Trying again, this time with the ctrl c on alert..

I'm trying to find out what the RS232 serial communication parameters are for an AB 1500 1764-24BWA. I've scoured the AB manual, and found nothing as to dip switch locations, how to program the "user configured" parameters, or anything other than their default configuration.

I'm trying to communicate with a filter tester (TSI CertiTest 8127/8130, and I believe what I have is 8130) which has 9600 baud, 7 data bits, 1 stop, and odd parity. This poses a problem as the PLC is configurable, somehow, to even or no parity. So there is a Black Box Communications Adapter Plus (CAP) hooked in series in between the PLC and the filter tester. All well and good, but why then did they choose to disable the parity for both signals coming in to the box, and assumably sent out. Also, the PLC is configured to 8 data bits, despite it almost definately having a stop bit, as far as I can determine.

When I went to open up the controller, if you are dedicated and look at the manual, you will see that there are no dip switches mentioned in the manual, or in obvious accessible places on the controller. Just a button to toggle between the default parameters and the "user configured" parameters. And supposedly there is a dCOMM LED that lights up when in default mode, but I couldn't find it. This makes me think that the serial communications are set somehow with RSlogix...

Thanks in advance
ctrlC
Axel

This makes me think that the serial communications are set somehow with RSlogix...

You guessed correctly. All the Channel configuration parameters are set with the programming software RSLogix500. In order to determine what they are, you are going to need a printed copy of the program, or an electronic copy and RSLogix, or RsLogix and the correct communication cable, to go online with the processor and check the current settings.

Ken

not a problem, i have all of those options. Once online with the program, where do I go look? keep in mind, I'm outta here in five minutes, so I may not be replying until tomorrow

thanks
-axel

and finally, I'm assuming the number of data bits is 7, with one stop bit. Otherwise, it looks hunkydory
Thanks a lot!
Axel