Upgrade PV600 (RS-232-DH485) comm. to ML1500 to PV+

Geospark said:
...The node number was 1 for "MICRO1500" in PB32, yes?...

nicer said:
1) Yap, it's MICRO1500

I'm sorry, and maybe it's just a language issue, but I was not asking you to confirm the node name. I was actually asking you to confirm that the node number for the node name "MICRO1500", in PanelBuilder32, was node number 1. I am asking this because on the Runtime (Target) tab you have the MicroLogix 1500, under the Serial DH-485 driver, set to node number 1. I'm just double checking you have this set correctly before moving on. Also, is the Station Number for the Serial DH-485 driver set to 2? This, again will set the PanelView to node number 2 at Runtime.

If we put the Test Application aside for the moment, as you don't yet have the necessary cable, and concentrate on the Runtime (Target) path to the controller. If you are happy that the Runtime path is correct (it looks good if those node numbers are correct); When you load and run the application on the terminal, did you, or do you get a message asking whether you wish to use the existing communications setup from the terminal menu or from the application? If so, you should select your application's setup. I think it is doing so already as you've mentioned that you can see the Serial DH-485 driver in the communications menu on the terminal.

With the MicroLogix in Run Mode, and the straight through cable connected to the PanelView, and the application running, what messages are you getting? Does it appear as though some communications are working or is everything throwing up error messages of the failed type? I would try to establish this so you know you have good comms but just have some cleaning up to do in the converted application.

Don't sweat it over the double post and no one here is finding you or your posts annoying, I'm sure.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
I'm sorry, and maybe it's just a language issue, but I was not asking you to confirm the node name. I was actually asking you to confirm that the node number for the node name "MICRO1500", in PanelBuilder32, was node number 1. I am asking this because on the Runtime (Target) tab you have the MicroLogix 1500, under the Serial DH-485 driver, set to node number 1. I'm just double checking you have this set correctly before moving on. Also, is the Station Number for the Serial DH-485 driver set to 2? This, again will set the PanelView to node number 2 at Runtime.

Oh, my bad, yes sir it's station 1 for the ML1500 and 2 for the old PV600, according to the uploaded .pva itself.

If we put the Test Application aside for the moment, as you don't yet have the necessary cable, and concentrate on the Runtime (Target) path to the controller. If you are happy that the Runtime path is correct (it looks good if those node numbers are correct); When you load and run the application on the terminal, did you, or do you get a message asking whether you wish to use the existing communications setup from the terminal menu or from the application? If so, you should select your application's setup. I think it is doing so already as you've mentioned that you can see the Serial DH-485 driver in the communications menu on the terminal.

Yap, I loaded the application comm. setting and glad to see it already appeared on the PV+ comm. setting (as seen on F4-"terminal settings").

With the MicroLogix in Run Mode, and the straight through cable connected to the PanelView, and the application running, what messages are you getting? Does it appear as though some communications are working or is everything throwing up error messages of the failed type? I would try to establish this so you know you have good comms but just have some cleaning up to do in the converted application.

Yap, I'd really wanna try connecting it to the running ML1500 using the old cable and ML1500 LRP comm. port but unfortunately I'm still waiting for the site appointment, so for now I'm on anticipating mode again hehe.

The plant is also as excited as me to see if it could really adapt the old communication setup because, as I've said before, the previous guy who upgraded a panel similar to this setup needed to use ML1500 ch.0 (the round port), and so needed to purchase another cable as well (and might have done some reconfig on the ML1500 itself also?), instead of just using the old comm. setup.

I wasn't able to get the details on that, but since there's still the Serial DH485 on ours, I guess it's a positive sign we could do it!hehe

Don't sweat it over the double post and no one here is finding you or your posts annoying, I'm sure.

I hope you are right.

Regards,
George

Thanks for continuously responding sir George!

Sir George,

About your advice on your very first post about the tag reference (e.g., ::[micro1500]N12:7), that what's inside the bracket must also be what to enter on the shortcut name on setting communication on FactoryTalk View ME (RSLinx Enterprise/Communication Setup):

1) You agree that what's inside the reference is the node name on PanelBuilder32, but you also seem to say that that reference itself can be found on PB32 (I mean this whole "::[micro1500]N12:7")? I can't seem to find this on PB32, only the node name (Application Settings/Communication Setup).

I actually found this reference/syntax on the migrated application by FTV ME (HMI Tags/Tags/Address) which is even *before* the communication setup. Does this mean it would actually be easier and better to just look at it (within FTV ME) and not on PB32? They should be similar right (after all it's where it has came from), and if, by some reason, they happen to be different, wouldn't the one on FTV ME itself matter over the one on PB32?

2) I migrated another .pva (which might just be similar) which has the same node name (ie, MICRO1500) on PB32 as the first one, but for some reason, after migration, the tag reference has become "::[micro15001]N12:7" (with 1 after micro1500). I don't know if it is seeing some conflict with the first migration that's why it was named to be different, but in this case I should name the shortcut "MICRO15001" (with 1) instead of just "MICRO1500" (its original node name on PB32)?

3) Is there a general setting on FTV ME that could change this tag reference maybe like the "node name" on PB32? You're not actually creating tags with this whole syntax when you do it from scratch (instead of migrate) right? Or maybe, when you create from scratch, you start with comm. setup and shortcut but this only happened backwards because of migration not including the comm. setup (and so I don't have any option but to copy what's on the address reference and paste to comm. shortcut name)?

4) Is there a way to display the tags with address column in a way that the tag display can be arranged by tag address (like on the PB32 you can display tags by tag address ascending/descending order)? Because on FTV ME Tags section the tag are listed in a row by name/type/description w/o column for tag address (and can't even be reordered), you have to look up under "data source" to see the address.

5) It the shortcut case/capital sensitive (ie, will there be a difference between MICRO1500 vs micro1500)?

Thanks!

Last edited:
When I do "cross-reference" on the migrated application on FTV ME there seems to be no tag content under the folder "MICRO1500" (the only folder aside from the "system" which has some content) even the tags under "HMI Tags" on explorer are completely there. Why is that? Is this just ok? Is there another way then to I find where a tag is used on graphic screen/s?

I also checked property of a simple lamp indicator, and also found the same, it seems directed to the "MICRO1500" folder that has no content! This doesn't seem to be ok to me..

Thanks!

Complete tags.jpg Lamp indicator property.jpg X-ref, no content.jpg X-ref, system content.jpg

Last edited:
Oh the tags on both cross-reference and object properties actually exists, they're located at the topmost hierarchy (in this case on the "Try" icon), not on the subfolder "MICRO1500". Sorry about that!

BTW, I was wondering, what if I don't create that shortcut but only create the runtime driver, will I be unable to communicate the panelview plus? If so, then why in the world is that crucial step not mentioned in the manual "Migrating Panel View Standard Application" (it only ends with creating driver on runtime/target) which is supposed to be the main manual for this job?

Thanks!

X-ref, tags.jpg Properties tag.jpg Configure Comm.1.jpg Configure Comm.2.jpg

Last edited:
Good day everyone!

The upgrade from the old PanelView to the new PanelView Plus is already done! New panel communicated and tested!

Credits to all those experts that helped me: sir George, sir Ken and sir Mickey! It didn't took much time on site due to the preparation I got from you guys. I really don't know how it could have been if not for you very helping experts!

I've really used every bit of information from you all, from uploading the old PV program, converting it and communicating/testing the new panel. There's really some necessary steps along the way that isn't (or at least very hard to find) on manuals: the Serial DH485 driver (should be 1747 PIC/AIC+) and the shortcut creation on runtime RSLinx Enterprise (not on migration manual) to name a couple.

Its also great that though I found some more complicated thing (at least for beginners) on Allen Bradley compared to Siemens (setting communication, a lot of protocols/drivers/cables and PLC addressing, to name a few), I'm thankful about how smooth the PV standard (via PanelBuilder32) to PV+ (via FactoryTalk View ME) migration was, it's almost just the alarms that wasn't converted.

It's the "This trigger has been disabled as its data type is not supported by Bit or LSBit triggered alarms" problem on which I just have to change every alarm trigger from "Bit" to "Value" (which also isn't on the manual) but thanks to sir Ken's answer on an old post. It could really have been a lot of work since the project contains 285 tags and 52 screens.

About the difference between the converted application's tag syntax on FTV ME to its original PB32 node name, I just followed what's on the converted tag syntax (ie, from PB32 node name "MICRO1500" it became "micro15001"/"::[micro15001].." on FTV ME HMI Tag syntax,so I did name the shortcut "MICRO15001") although I didn't have the time to test other case/s.

Thank you very much again experts! Please keep up the good work!

Last edited: