Using Compumotor 6K6 with Panelview PLus

10dulkar

Not sure how many of you have heard of the 6k6 controller from compumotor/Parker, but I have a motion application that I programmed using it.

I now need to tie it to an HMI. I looked at the CTC line from Parker and it doesnt seem very industrial and user friendly to say the least. I am thinking of tying it to a Panelview Plus instead.

Any experiences or recommendations on ...

- Either the CTC line and their features
- Or tying Panelview Plus to a non-PLC platform

I appreciate the inputs.

Thanks.

I used the GV6K servo with the CTC touchscreen. Best touchscreen I've used yet. Very flexible tags, very flexible limits (refrencing another variableA - variableB). Pretty quick to learn & it's being used by some guys that are pretty tough on it, been in operation about a year now, still works great.

I have used the Parker 6K4 with both the CTC stand-alone (no Windows OS) and the CTC w/PSX software (and Win 2000 pro). Shortcomings of the 6K series aside, the stand-alone CTC actually worked better than the PSX version. Screens refreshed faster and comms with the 6K were more stable; the stand-alone version used a proprietary ethernet driver for direct connect to the 6K4. We used this for any jogging functions; this was not available on the PSX version and the time-lag between pressing any of the jogging functions and movement/stopping of the servo axes was unacceptable. The windows O/S and the PSX software require more RAM than the hardware they used would support. And it was prone to just "losing" its software activation, so you would wind up spending a couple of hours back and forth with Parker on the phone trying to restore the activation. The stand-alone version was on the prototype on that project, with the PSX machines on the (3) production units. I preferred the prototype over the PSX. OT, but if you plan to put your Gemini servos on an RS-485 network, DO NOT use the Belden 9842 cable (if it is still the cable listed in manuals) - use Belden 9843 or you will have one great big antenna.

Thanks for the inputs, mgvol and CroCop.

What I have is a 6K6 controlling 5 Aries drives. I am planning on communicating with the HMI over ethernet. RS-232 is tied up for vision.

My biggest concern is turning it into an industrial HMI. The client wants to be able to store recipes (basically my motion profile parameters) and a bunch of data logging, I/O actuation and such. I am thinking that I might be pushing the limit on the capabilities of the CTC HMI. Any recommendations on a particular HMI from CTC... Vendor recommended PA Powerstation. Any experiences?

Panelview Plus definitely seems to have the capabilities, just not sure of the communication between the 2 through say something like Kepware?

Thanks.