ERROR: symbol assigned is local to ladder

IanL

as below, has anyone come across a problem in Logix500?

http://www.softautomation.com/forum/rslogix/messageview.cfm?catid=9&threadid=7900

i've tried searching the web/google but i have yet to find anything that even remotely solves the problem. that link ^^^ has a patch, but it does not work in my case and i'm really stuck.

hopefully someone on here as managed to solve it or at least point me in the right direction. if you need any other info (ie. ladder logic etc) please let me know and i'll try my best to get a screen shot.

thank you.

Are your symbols global, or assigned to a ceratin ladder file.

Use the project tree, down near the bottom left, click on the address/symbol database, when it opens, click on the scope column, this will sort all your symbols by scope, see if you have any that are not global, and shoud be. If so , you can change it right there in the database.

Just a thought, I've never had this error, but who knows.

Was this a working program, that you are trying to modify?

Edit:
If you post the program file with the problem, I'm sure someone on the forum can give you a hand. Sometimes it's easier to look, than trying to play 20 questions.

i followed your suggestion, and yep it did show up right at the end assigned to ladder 13. i changed the scope and everything is hunky dory.

as a matter of note, it was a working program, which i coded about 10 months ago. which had since been changed numerous times by plant engineers to allow for new additions. thus i have limited knowledge as to when the problem initially occurred as it was not present during commissioning.

cheers for that ken, the advice was much appreciated today and i learnt something new in the process.