modem vs web

dsnell94510

i'm looking for a relative comparison ($ & convienence)between using a modem to monitor remote analog outputs from a PLC and using the web to look at that data.
thanks

We have done it both ways. We have used a DSL connection which is nice because it is fast and allows viewing of the PLC data from any web browser. A commercial DSL line however can cost 80 or 90 bucks. Have also used modems. The only additional cost when using modems, other than the hardware, is the cost of a LD call. Downside is that only one person at a time can access the data and you need a phone line to dial out on.

What are your intentions? & what type of controller are you talking about? If you need to constantly monator data, then DSL is the way. If you just need to annunciate an alarm now and then, go with the analog modem.

dsnell94510 said:
Thanks for your response.
I assume that a DSL line etc would require a dedicated PC on the clients end?

No the DSL doesn't necessarily require a PC. What we used was a VPN router connected to the DSL modem.