Concatenate or not?

Kidblue

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi people,

I was wondering if there was an easier way to achieve an issue i have with STRINGS in AB. Currently i programme lots of applications using GSM modems. I have been quite happily creating alarms and sending various alerts to mobile phones. I have spent quite a while getting this just right (the client can now enter upto 6 mobile numbers on the HMI), and then sequentially sending an alarm to all six mobiles....so far so good!

What i've recently started doing is embedding variables into the text messages (pressure, temperature, hrs run etc)....again, this is all working nicely. What i would like to do is streamline how i assemble the dynamic text messages. At the moment, i bolt together several strings (using ACN), and then send the final string to the modem. Is there a way of copying one string to an exact location in another string (Or merge them)? I just want to try and limit the number of strings used and ACN commands......Like i said, i have it working, but would just like to slick it up!! ;)

Thank you.

Greetings Rob,

your question would be a lot easier to answer if you could post an example of what you’re doing ...

but even sight-unseen I’ll say this much ... just because you COULD make it slicker, doesn’t necessarily mean that you SHOULD ...

remember that somewhere down the road some poor sap is going to have to figure out how this thing works ... there’s a LOT to be said for keeping things simple, even if that means some step-by-step-brute-force techniques are used to make the magic happen ...

but if you can post a sample, I for one would love to take a look at it ...

I've attached a sample bit of code to demonstrate where i think i may be over complicating things regarding the strings and concatenate......o_O

I've just left in the relevant parts relating to the GSM sending. There are 6 conditions, but i've just highlighted 2 of them:

1. Dryer shutdown (Text alert + the Plant room temperature at the time of shutdown embedded.)
2. Compressor Hours Run: 3 Compressors (A,B,C) - With 3 Hr counts (L9:0, L9:1, L9:2) embedded into the text message.

What i'd like to do is have one string address, and merge/copy multiple strings with it, but in specific positions within the string LEN.

Thank you. (y)