DL06 Failure

JasonG

First things first I hope all of you have had a great turkey day! I know Im still full.

I have what I feel is a power supply failure but for the life of me dont know why. I received the unit Wed night, set it up on the desk and loaded the program and left it running untill thismorning.

So today I head out to the site and get this thing in the rack and power in up. At this point I have no I/O connected just power and my laptop. I know Im connected to the CPU and make my changes to the PID quickley and go to download. NOTHING! No power light no smoke no smells just NOTHING.

Has anyone had this happen befor? This was only my second DL06 and Im now not sure what went wrong!

I suppose you checked to see that you still had power going into the PLC? It sounds like a tripped power supply circuit.

I've had two simmiler failures with the 105, but that's an entirely differnt PLC. Never heard of this with the 06'. I'm sure you've check the obivious like checking the power at the terminals. If that's ok do you have 24v at the aux output? I wonder if there's a internal fuse in the unit?? Let us know what happens.

I did check for the obvious and there was inbound power. Everything in the cabinet 120 related was perfect. I did check the 24v out on the PLC and had a strange reading that was jumping from 9-13V DC and when I went over to the AC setting I was seeing 3 volts. Looks like a regulator died or something.
Out of share desparity I did open the PLC in hopes of finding a fuse or even better a PTC but that power supply was beyond any of the spare parts I have on hand.

Had no other choice but to run the machine in bypass keeping the heater and Dehumidifier running full blast as I did not have any explosion proof thermostats around.

This has been an interesting project at least. We are turning a dryer that is used to process fireworks from a clunky old manual monster to a sleak new machine that we hope will save us some money on our power bill.

There were no IO attached to the PLC at the time of programing thus no load. I did put the thing on the bench this evening and could not find a hint of power leaving the power supply. I hope this is a fluke and I dont have this issue going forward as I have 10 dryers we want to convert by end of 05

I'm sure it is just a fluke. This is the first I've heard of this type of problem with the 06'. If it was a common issue the news would spread like wildfire. Go and get an RMA from AD. They'll likely tell you what happened after they get a chance to look at it.

I've only had one "out of the box" failures from AD. But I'm pretty sure that it was because of the forklift that ran over the box on our receiving dock. DL-05's do not make effective chock blocks.
Not sure if AD will issue an RMA since you took it apart to check the PWR supply. Can they tell?

Dale

dale1627 said:
Not sure if AD will issue an RMA since you took it apart to check the PWR supply. Can they tell?

They know now..... AD tech support often posts on this forum. Actually I'd bet they would honor the warranty if you had nothing to do with breaking it. Given the situation you were in at the time, it's not unreasonable that you took a look for a lose connection.

I called for the RMA today and told them what I did and they were cool with it. I was figuring worse case I would end up having it fixed and keeping it as a spare.

Let us know what AD finds. I'm in the same boat as Mike; lots and lots of DL06s in the field and I haven't seen this before, but if I do I'd like to know what I'm looking at.

Ill let you all know as soon as I do....

On the same project Id like to shhot you all a question.
There is going to be about 10 dryers updated with the 06 with local optimate panels to change set points. The final step of the project is going to have a master PLC in an office to show alarm events from the dryers such as high/low temp high/low humidity etc. I also want to be able to change the set points on the dryers.

Questions are:
Can I use a DL06 to poll the others. I dont need fast response time so speed is not a concern.

Can I use one Optimate setpoint panel and a selector switch to select what dryer Im working on.

Ive build ML1000 networks like this on a smaller scale with a master alarm panel using lamps to show the alarm so I think its the remote set point changes that Im not sure of.

Jason

Yes you can network multiple DL06s via Port2. The networking issues are covered in Vol 1 of the user manual. (I'm pretty sure). Also check out he Example Programs on the Tech Support section of ADs website. There you can download working comm code that you might be able to intergrate in your programs. You can network as master & slaves, or peer to peer, it's just a matter of programming.

I'm not sure about the optimate question, but you can set up a selector switch to inputs on one plc to direct data to another particular plc on the network. That's just a matter of programming also..What I'm not sure of is if you can hang the optimate on the network, or you'd have to hang it on port 1 of your master.

There are multiple ways to do what your asking. The two that jump out at me are:

A DL06 in the office with an ECOM card and CAT5 back to the plant with an ECOM card in each of the dryer's PLC. I'd put network switches where they were most convenient to reduce CAT5 runs. Any user interface could be put on the office PLC.

A C-More screen (probably 8-10") in the office with a CAT5 cable back to the plant where all the dryer's PLCs had an ECOM card installed. The C-More screen could even be programmed to send out email alerts to cell phones or pagers when a dryer alarm occurred.

-EDIT-

You could also just do an RS485 multi-drop network with the C-More screen, but ethernet is a lot simpler (at least to me).