Converting PV1200 to RSViewME - addressing (Using 2 bits)

ckchew666

Hi,

We've a project converting PV1200 project to RSViewME, I managed to import all the graphics from PV1200 to RSViewME.

But some of the state/msg display using B3:0/7 - B3:0/8 (using 2 bits).

Can RSViewME use two bits as well?

As I know if we choose integer, we have to use 16 bits, if we choose digital, we have to use only 1 bit. How to use two or three bits?

Please advise. Thanks.

Just to make sure I understand, you have a two-state indicator:

State 1 is displayed when B:3/07 is high.

State 2 is displayed when B:3/08 is high.

As far as I can recall, RSView ME does not have this feature.

One suggestion I have (but it's a bit cumbersome, depending on how many of these indicators you have is to use two local message displays (or string/numeric displays) stacked on top of each other).

Then you would set the visibility animation on each display so that the information associated with B:3/07 is visible when this bit is high and the information associated with B:3/08 is visible when that bit is high.

Not very elegant, but perhaps others have come across a similar situation and can give additional feedback...

Rick

rgurin said:
Just to make sure I understand, you have a two-state indicator:

State 1 is displayed when B:3/07 is high.

State 2 is displayed when B:3/08 is high.

As far as I can recall, RSView ME does not have this feature.

One suggestion I have (but it's a bit cumbersome, depending on how many of these indicators you have is to use two local message displays (or string/numeric displays) stacked on top of each other).

Then you would set the visibility animation on each display so that the information associated with B:3/07 is visible when this bit is high and the information associated with B:3/08 is visible when that bit is high.

Not very elegant, but perhaps others have come across a similar situation and can give additional feedback...

Rick

Rick,

Thx for ur suggestion, yeah, it can work....I have a lot of these (50 - 70).

Anyone with other suggestions?

Can RSView32 has this feature? (I'm using RSViewME now), if RSView32 has it, in future our conversion proj, we'll propose RSView32.

Thanks.

I am not a VBA expert, but I suspect that what you are trying to accomplish is possible through VBA.

If someone can confirm this, then you would want to consider using RSView32 (or RSView SE) to handle these types of objects in future conversions, because RSView ME does not support VBA.

In fact, depending on the types of objects that are used in your project, the RSView ME screens you have can be imported into RSView SE. This could be overkill for the application, however...

Rick

Last edited:
VBA is out, and changing to SE is probably not worth it.
Simple solution, configure a Multi-state indicator, and in the 'connections' tab, use 'Expr'(ession) and enter an integer tag, masking off the bits you want:

MyTagWithTwoBits & 3 will only pass values of 0, 1, 2, and 3.

Almost there, guys.

This method of using a small array of bits somewhere within a data word to represent a value was very common in the PanelView 1200's on Remote I/O, because addressing space was scarce.

It's one of the methods that doesn't translate directly from PanelBuilder 1200 to RSView ME.

The method I use is like rdrast's above; I use an Expression to bit-shift right from the higher bits to the lowest bits, then a mask to select just the number of bits I want.

For the 4-state value described above, the expression will be:

{::[PLCTalk]B3:0} >> 7 & 3

Remote IO Conversion

How will this translate for an RIO tag?

The original tag on the PV1400e is B07 15/00-15/14. The imported tag gave a 'tag length not supported' error in log and converted the tag to a memory tag.

Thanks!
-----------------------------
Is this a possible solution?
1) Create a tag for the whole word (B07 15)
2) Use an expression as Ken mentions above where the tag is used [tag>>15 & 15] ?

Last edited:
OK, I think I've found the solution in the following Rockwell tech notes:
A69453517 and A66330668

Hope this helps someone!