Control Logix I/O configuration

cjh

Is there a faster way to configure the I/O in a Control Logix base or do you always to manually configure all of your I/O?

Is there a trick to export and import it somehow?

It seems like I am missing something here.

cjh said:
Is there a faster way to configure the I/O in a Control Logix base or do you always to manually configure all of your I/O?

Is there a trick to export and import it somehow?

It seems like I am missing something here.
Not that I've ever found. I guess the easiest way I've found to do it is to copy modules in from another project and reassign the slot number.

No, you haven't missed anything. The ControlLogix doesn't have the facility to "browse chassis" and add I/O automatically. The basic reason is that I/O in one chassis could be being used by CPU's in other ones; just because it's in your chassis doen't mean that its yours. If you're going to use this "distributed" architecture you have to make some decisions about module ownership and communications formats which can't be changed without deleting and re-configuring the affected module. Pity about the 99.5% of users who aren't but there y'go.:)

I don't know that I would consider this a "trick". But definitely copy already configured modules whenever it's useful. Copy from another project or configure one module of each type and copy from there. This is especially helpful on the analog I/O. Setting the range for every single channel in a project is really tedious. An "All" button to make changes affect all 16 channels at once would sure be nice too.

Last edited:
You can research the L5K file format for importing. We have been successful in generating information starting with spreadsheet I/O list and other information and then generating pieces of the L5K with macros in Excel.

You can contact AKreel http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/member.php?u=77 a member of this site. He may have some insight to quickly generating PLC code, tags, documentation, and text in Logix 5000 controllers.