RS Logix - help !

d138925n

I am used to working / commissioning on S7 - but now have landed an RS logix job using device net. What is the best way to communicate with the device net sensors and obviously the PLC ? I want the same sort of comms that the siemens 5512 PCMCIA card offers - but the Allen Bradley version ....
I am presently in North China and the AB reps are giving me various answers and some funny prices for the relevant PCMCIA card...can anyone advice me please ?

I actually like the AB PCMCIA card unlike my colleagues who tend to prefer the 1770 KFD (which needs an RS232 serial port) but if you have a Control Logix PLC with a 1756 ENET or ENBT you do not need either as you can bridge straight from ethernet onto the DeviceNet network. This is fine for 99% of the jobs I ever need to do.

1784-PCMK Series B. I use it to connect to Control Logix, SLC500 as well as PLC5 on my laptop. I can connect DH+ as well as RIO and DeviceNet

Find out what processor you'll be programming in RSLogix?(5,500,5000) before deciding what is the best comms option. If ethernet is available, by all means use that. Its fast, cheap, and easy to set up. If it's a PLC5, SLC or C-Logix without ethernet or DH+/RIO, or ControlNet, I would just buy a serial cable as long as the project doesn't tie up Channel 0 for a field device. I don't have much D-Net experience so I don't know if serial alone will suffice. Someone else here will surely answer that.