Panelview 1000 Print Message

Joe Loescher

I have a panelview 1000 # 2711-K10G3. I am sending a message out to a printer via a triggered message. This is working OK except I need to send a Line Feed. Is there a key stroke that can send a line feed or another way for the printer to recognize that I am sending an ascii command in the middle of a text string???

Thanks Joe

I spoke with tech support at Rockwell this afternoon, He suggested using an embedded character in the message. I can get the embedded variable to work and any text I type on the screen prints but I can't get the embedded variable to work. It shows up properly in panelbuilder and in the .PVA file but not on the panelview terminal. I was wondering if this might be a firmware issue. I am running firmware revision 4.10. I also tried this on am ethernet terminal running firmware revision 4.43 but got the same results.

Any Suggestions???
Joe

if you go to PanelBuilder32, open your application, click on application settings and choose printer, what is EOL Char setting?
Choices are CR, CR+LF and NONE.

You don't want an 'embedded variable'. You want an embedded character. One single byte in the middle of your string. A decimal 10 (one byte... 0000 1010) is the ASCII control code for line feed. A decimal 13 (one byte... 0000 1101) is the ASCII control code for carriage return. For that matter, a decimal 65 (one byte... 0100 0001 is the ASCII control code for the symbol 'A'.

Yes and I have tried all of the above but I can't get the embedded character to print or even show up on the panelview screen. It shows up fine on the screen of the computer but not on the panelview. I only tried the variable to see if that would work and it did.

Any other suggestions are welcome

Thanks Joe

You need a non-printable character to show up on the display? That's probably not going to work very well. Panelviews are not exactly good at WYWSIG text formatting.

I thought you just needed to print a message out.

No I need a line feed sent to the printer. I was just trying to send an "A" ( ascii 65 in decimal ) so I could see it show up on the screen. I am confident If I can get the "A" to print and show up on the screen I can get the line feed to work. Or if there was a keystroke on a standard keyboard that work I could use that too. For instance when you type an "enter" key on the computer keyboard it shows up in panelbuilder as /*R*/ and is used in the panelview as a carriage return. Has anybody ever done this?

Joe