Stepper control direct from PLC Digital Outputs?

girevik

Hello,

as I know, usually special modules are used to control stepper.

So i'm wondering why not just connect stepper to the PLC's digital outputs and control it by the PLC's program? what disadvantages? Is that way ever used or it's not allowed?

I have tried that way with my 5 wire (one is common) stepper and it seems working.

thanks and sorry for my ignorance.

that was my fault. I did not say that I need pretty slow rotation of the stepper, about 5-10 steps per second... so any, or almost any, PLC will work there.

so limit of the maximum speed is the most important disadvantages, and if I dont need fast speed, I can use stepper connected directly to the PLC?

thanks

If the outputs can supply the current needed for the steppermotor and the steppermotor is rated for 24VDC: yes you can connect it directly to the outputs. I have even done it with small relays between the outputs of a Simatic S5-100U and the motor. I think (it was a while agoo) the fastest speed I got with that setup was about 1 rpm with a 720 steps/revolution motor.

Kind regards,

jvdcande said:
If the outputs can supply the current needed for the steppermotor and the steppermotor is rated for 24VDC: yes you can connect it directly to the outputs. I have even done it with small relays between the outputs of a Simatic S5-100U and the motor. I think (it was a while agoo) the fastest speed I got with that setup was about 1 rpm with a 720 steps/revolution motor.

Kind regards,

thanks for the info. very useful.

my stepper is rated at 12VDC so I'm using additional powersupply... My PLC's output are relays, I know it's not the best choice for running stepper, but this PLC is for education purposes only and will not run for a long time...

thanks again