Using RS500 to control a stepper motor

Sevenfins

The company I work for recently bought stepper motors and the appropriate parts / expansion card to control them. I, however, have never used them. How do I go about programming them? Which commands outputs ect. Anything to give me a head start will help.

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately you have not given near enough information for anybody to be of much assistance. If you can include part numbers for the steppers, part numbers for the cards, and the PLC you are using (RS500 doesn't tell us much), you might get more help. The more detailed you can get, the easier it is for people to help you.

With that being said, start with the manuals for the cards. See what they say about setting up the cards and see if they have examples on how to use the appropriate commands. Go to the manufacturers website and see if they have sample code that you can browse.

Hi & Welcome to the Forum!

I assume you are referring to the 1746-HSTP1 Stepper Controller Module?

If so, then to give you a "head start", and if you have not already, take a deep breathe and have a read (or 2) of the following manual...

1746-HSTP1 - Stepper Controller Module - Rockwell Automation

Regards,
George