Translate PLC5 to ControlLogix

Julieh98

I was trying to convert a .PC5 program into a ControlLogix form .ACD by using the tool Translate PLC5 in the RS Logix 5000 software. For the source I took the .PC5 file and for the destination folder, I choose the same destination that the .PC5 file is located. But the software didn`t want to convert the program and the error given is that the .txt is not found.

Have you ever use this tool before? Do you know what are the requirements to use properly this tool?

Thanks!
Julie

Julie,

If ControlLogix is looking for *.txt files, then you could open the *.PC5 file, using RSLogix5, then do a "File, Save As", then on the pop-up menu, select "Save database as external files". This might give ControlLogix the file that it is looking for. If you do not have RSLogix5, you could E-mail the file to me and I could convert it for you.

I think the *.PC5 file type is the old Allen-Bradley 6200 software file type. You could also, in RSLogix5, go to "Tools, Database, ASCII Export", then select the "AB 6200" tab. This will export the symbols, comments, and rung descriptions as *.txt files.

It is also possible, of course, that you uploaded the *.PC5 file directly from a PLC5, and you did NOT have the original program file on that computer, in which case none of the external files will exist (or they will be empty files)!

Last edited:
I haven't got Logix5 on this PC so I can't give you exact keystrokes but the solution is to make sure that you export the database as a separate file. I think (don't shoot me down here as I've got the memory of a goldfish with Alzheimers) you open the .RSP file, do a Save As .pc5 and there's a tickbox for "external file".

In addition to the memory problem my reflexes are also shot!

In order to convert the plc5 file you have to export the database using the database ascii export function in the plc5 programming software. R5K needs these files to gt the descriptions, symbols, ect.

NOP is on the right track. IIRC you have to do an export of the PC5 file first. I dont remember the exact sequence either, I've only done it once, but it worked fine. I found the steps in the help files.