Alarm banner ?

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hello All:

I have a PV 1000 with SLC 504.

The PV has replaced a large control counsel with approximately 50 push buttons, switches, etc.

The scenario that I have is a opportunity to make the process better. Our operators will call me or the maintenance staff if something is not working, when all they had needed to do was turn on the proper switch in the PV.

Example: if they want to run in auto and they did not turn on the magnet switch, then they will push the auto button (tag) 10 times then call maintenance, I can create a tag (Bit) in the SLC if the button is pushed 3 or more times with in 10sec, send it to the PV, I have thought of making alarm banners to pop up that read the "The magnet is off"

My question is would a alarm banner be the best for this or is there something better.

I can not have the auto tag turn on the magnet, that has to be done at different times, there are many scenarios like this, that I think I can help full proof the process.

Thanks

I like the alarm banner, since it is generic to all defined alarms, will appear in the same location on every screen, and you only have to configure the alarm 1 time. If you used some sort of multistate indicator, you would have to put it on every screen.

I agree with mgvol about the Alarm banner, but I use both the banner and a roll-your-own Fault screen. Undyingly, someone will ACK the Alarm banner, clearing it, so I make my PLC call up the fault screen for one-half second, then release control of the PV back to the PV. This way the Fault screen is shown after the Alarm banner is ACKed.

Last edited:
I usually have a dedicated alarms screen (using the built in alarms object) and disable the alarm banner. Then I put a navigation button on every screen that changes colour if an alarm is active.