FactoryTalk ME Automatically disappear alarm banner when no alarm active

Lisa3003Lisa

I'm using FactoryTalk ME version 13. I have an alarm banner that is an on top display. Whenever there is an alarm this banner becomes visible to showcase the alarm message. Now, I want it to disappear whenever there is no fault active anymore. Within the display settings, the check box for Cannot be Replaced is not marked.

I read somewhere that I could use the remote close display option within the alarm setup. So, I added my PLC tag there. This tag is a BOOL and is true whenever there are not any faults. The tag has a read/write connection.

Within the PLC is see that the tag turns true and I would imagine that that would close the alarm banner but it does not.

Does someone have any pointers on why that is and how to make it disappear?

Last edited:
Are you using the 'Close an On Top Display' or the 'Close All On Top Displays' connection?

If the former, the display that is closed is the one whose Display Number matches the value of the tag. So unless your alarm banner has a Display Number of 1, your BOOL isn't going to work. I'd recommend using a unique, non-zero number.

If the latter, make sure your banner does not have a Display Number of 0, as only non-zero display numbers will be closed.

In either case, the display must not have 'Cannot be Replaced' checked in its options.

I read somewhere that I could use the remote close display option within the alarm setup. So, I added my PLC tag there. This tag is a BOOL and is true whenever there are not any faults. The tag has a read/write connection.

To get this to work you will need to assign each display in your application with a unique number. Also in the Global Connections > Close an On Top Display will need to be assign an "Analog" tag (I think an Int PLC tag will also work) but must match the display number assigned to the display you wish to close...

For the remote close option to work you must place your screen name in the Display section Current Alarms:
It defaults to [ALARM] but you can replace it with your alarm screen name. This is where you identify the Display for the Remote Close Display Tag.

Close Alarm Screen.PNG