Major Error 21h - SLC5/04

Newton W

Hello All,
When trying to go to RUN mode the processor faults and I get this error.

Error description is: Remote Power Failure of an expansion I/O rack occurred.

This is a brand new SLC 5/04 in a 10 slot rack with another 10 slot rack attached.

Power doesn't seem to be an issue with the remote rack. All indicator lights are on that should be (Power supply, Analog In, Analog Out modules).

I suspect the cable, but would like to know if there's something else I could be overlooking. This is part of a skid unit that was checked out at the factory prior to being installed at our facility.

I tried creating a new program and performing a "Read IO Config" and it was able to identify all modules in the main rack, and identify that there was another rack attached, but not able to identify any modules in the remote rack.

Thanks for all your help,
-William

and you’ve checked the normal “bent pins” and “trash in the connectors” type things, right? ...

since they’re both 10-slot chassis, you could try swapping the two in desperation ... maybe the connector at the left end of the remote is bad ... or the right end of the local ... swapping might make a difference ...

I’m pretty sure that you need to hook the RIGHT end of the local to the LEFT end of the remote ... I’m not sure if the cable design will allow a mistake in this department, but any chance that that connection is backwards? ...

sounds like a cable to me ... but if I had time and energy, I’d swap the chassis first ... sometimes you just can’t beat the old “Fred Flintstone” approach to troubleshooting ...

please come back and let us know how this turns out ... we love to learn new tricks ...

Last edited:
Thanks Ron,
We don't quite own this thing yet so i'll leave any 'real work' to the guys that delivered it. I did check for bent pins, though.

If it's turns out I have the time I might try your suggestion...

Thanks,
-William

Go Figure

Short story - It was the battery.

Long story:
Factory tech suggested removing modules from rack.
-same error

Created a New empty program and:

Disconnected cable from remote rack, reconfigured I/O, downloaded program.
-same error

Pulled all modules from main rack, reconfigured I/O, downloaded prog.
-same error

Put processor in other rack (with no other modules).
-same error

Put a SLC 5/03 (didn't have a spare 5/04) in the main rack with matching I/O configuration.
-No Error!

Put cable and all modules back to original. Read configuration (without a hitch), downloaded.
-No Error!

Technician from installer came on-site and had more recent version of RSLogix500 (he had ver7 we have ver6).

Put original processor in and downloaded original program.
-same error

Pulled processor and disconnected battery.
-No error!?

Put battery from SLC 5/03 in SLC 5/04.
-No Error!?

Put original battery back in.
-same error

Bad Battery!?
Read bad battery with a meter - 2.6vdc

Again, the error occurred when switching from program mode to run mode either from the software (online) or the switch. The error code was 21h, and the error description was "Remote Power Failure of an expansion I/O rack occurred"

Go Figure...

-William

glad I didn't place any bets on this one ...

It was the battery.

I'd have come closer to believing that the butler did it! ...

thanks for the update ... I think I'll move "check the battery" up quite a few notches on my list of "things-to-check-in-weird-problem-situations" ...