how can i signal a wave device from a PLC using ascii?

qeseca

Hi,

i was wondering if anyone can help me, i am trying to add a wave device to a unit and i would like to use my PLC to signal the wave device to play a certain file, i would like to incorporate into the current program. has anyone tried this? any info will help. thanks.

Last edited:
i was just using Mitsubishi A985GOT and it allows you to save sounds into HMI. i didn't have time to try it out (forgot to get proper headphones or speakers) but according to manual you can trigger playback by turning bit in plc program just like you are turning on indicator or change button color...

Well, how is it triggerred?

If it only takes a contact closure to trigger playing a sound (ala a Mackenzie Repeater type thingy), you just need a digital or relay output for each recorded sound.

If it takes serial commands, most PLC's out there will let you program a serial port to send out commands in binary or ASCII formats. At the very worst, you might have to resort to using a BASIC/C/Other programmable module to talk to it.

the wave device can be triggered both ways.

I am trying to figure how to send the information from the PLC to the wave device via the serial port, i have been trying to use and ascii handshake but I have been unsuccessful. i am able to make the wave device work with a hyperterminal to my PC.

i have been trying but i can't seem to get it correctly, on the manual for the device i am to add a MODE.TXT file into the flash card so i can operate but i have not been able to incorporate the correct string into the current program or via a sample program for that matter. this is not something i normally do so i'm a bit lost(as you have all probably noticed). i appreciate everyone's input. thanks.

qeseca
Since you are obviously happy with Hyperterminal why not try sending the string from your PLC to Hyperterminal so you can see the actual data which is being sent. You can do this until you are transmitting the command string correctly and then connect the PLC to the wave device.
Andybr