Windows98 and AB6200

before my migration to rslogix i used the 6200 series for plc5,slc500 both on win98, and on 2000 without any problems.

This is all from memory from several years ago so this may not be exactly right. I think that one of the issues with the base 6200 stuff is that the communication drivers used to use direct hardware access. This was all fine and good under DOS. But starting with Win95, I believe, direct harware assess became a much more difficult proposition.

You will need to add RSLinx as well as have a version of 6200 that supports RSLinx. On Win95 you could run Interchange as an alternative. I don't know if Interchange will run under Win98 and I'm almost certain it won't run under Win2K.

As for the editor, you should be able to run 6200 on either Win98 or Win2K. I know I've run it on Win2K before. What are you seeing that is keeping you from running it?

Keith

6200-PLC5 will run on Win95 and probably Win98 (I haven't used 98 so can't say for sure, but they're pretty similar).

On WinNT and 2K you need to have RSLinx for comms and you need version 5.35 (I think) of 6200-PLC5 in order to recognise RSLinx.
It is painfully slow!!

6200 actally works very well under Win 95 or Win 98. Use Interchange to communicate with the PLC. You can have several instances of 6200 open at the same time communicating with different PLCs via Interchange.

And yes, you can use 6200 with RSLinx under Win NT or Win 2000.
But the performance is much much slower than with Interchange under Win 95.

If you have 6200 allready and have some old PLC5s that you want to support without wanting to spend much money on a license for RSLogix5, then have an old PC with Win 95 or Win 98 for only that purpose.
That, or consider dual boot.