1746-bas

drewcrew6

In the a-b brand with the basic module is there programming needed to utilize the ports for communication? Or do these ports act like the standard comm port on the proc?

If programming is needed what software and what download method (plug wiring, comm software etc.) is needed. I understand that it can run programs written in basic. But don't know if thats needed to utilize the comm ports. If a program is needed does anyone have a good link to get me started?

What I would like learn is how if possible to use the card for extra comm ports for like a panelview or dtam or possibly a third party device.

Thanks

Drewcrew6

Last edited:
I haven't used the A-B brand of basic co-processor, but most of them are similar. They are intended to execute high leel language programming for functions that are not available or cumbesome in ladder logic, and you can program the ports to any protocol you can write the code for - bar code readers, Modbus RTU, etc. You have to create the protocol formatting, checksums, etc. in your basic code for these ports.

The catalog for this card indicates it has a DH-485 port as well, so you can presumably use it for any device that supports the protocol.

If you are looking for ports to talk to HMI like a panelview there are probably better options. A-B and third party vendors like Prosoft have SLC cards that get data over the backplane and let you communicate without writing your own communications software.

Looks like the prosoft module will do what I want. Any one have a rough idea on cost as this is a personal project. I already have the basic module so cost is a major issue. As far as programming the basic what is needed? The a-b manuals state that you can use other software besides theirs but theirs has some nice features to speed programming.

The prosoft states that its software configured. But I didn't see the software mentioned as far as type and if provided or what.

Thanks
Drewcrew6

Last edited:
The MVI46 and the 4102 ASCII-3 are set up (programmed) thru a configuration (debug) port with a text editor such as WordPad or NotePad. The cost for the units are dependent on the vendor distributor and their multiplier percent. I don't have the current exact price but the MVI46 is in the $1600.00 range and the 4102 is in the $1200.00 range. Let me say right up front that knowing what I went thru with the 4102 module that the $400.00 cheaper price probably cost me many times that in programming time and money.There are some speed limitations also with the 4102 module.I hope this doesn't sound like bad mouthing the product, it was probably me having to learn how it works. It is working fine now.

Sid

Here is a link to the 4102 downloads for manuals,etc.
http://www.prolinxgateways.com/downloads.html
You connect to the configuration (debug) port with Hyperterminal and a null modem serial cable. I forgot to include this in my last post.
You might have to get more than one manual to get all the information necessary.

Sid

I think the 1746-BAS is fundamentally the same as the 1771-DB, which I have worked with in the dim, dark past. All that was required to program them was a dumb terminal or an emulator like Hyper Terminal. In the 'old days' we used a PC program called "crosstalk". As I recall, the Basic is 'tiny basic' embedded on an Intel 8051.
Also from memory, I believe the Prosoft modules are the very same Basic modules with custom E-proms added.

The prosodt module looks like what I want but the price tag is little hard to swallow for this home project.

Does anyone have any experience with the 1747-ke module?
They seem like they could be had a decent price and are easily configured. Or am I missing something with the module?

I need to cnnect to a pc thru 232 and to another "sensor" at 232. Look s like I will be able to use the card for my 485 bus as well,leaving my proc ports free for future.

Drewcrew6

We have many 1746-Bas Modules in our assembly areas. We use them to capture data from Screwdrivers and Leak testers and communications to RFID's.
You can use Hyperterminal and a null modem serial cable to do the programming. We have a copy of AB's dos based software but hyperterminal works just as good and it is free.

Use multiplexer

If I understand your problem correctly you are trying to use the
RS-232 port on the AB PLC to communicate to your PC (DF1) as well as to a generic ASCII device. To find an inexpensive solution to your problem please visit www.tomantron.com. MuxiPort will allow you to
run simultaneously an Allen Bradley programming software via a DF1
protocol and a generic ASCII device on the same RS-232 port.
No BASIC programming is required.

Jiri Toman thanks for that link looks like it will get what i need.

I've been playing with the bas module just to learn it a bit. But---
how do you get progs in to the bas module and what file extension should they be. I've created a simple program in qbasic and tried to transfer the file in hyper terminal but it just won't transfer it.
Always get an error that it took to long. But the prog is only 3 lines(40 char at most).

I connect using hyper then power up the basic module and i get a response stating its ready. The act led is flashing and its the only one on.

This is kicking my arse. And its driving me nuts. All of ab publications say you can use other basic programs but thay obviously dont tell you how. Info in this area is hard to find as its an old school thing,

Thanks
Drewcrew6

QBASIC ???

Drew,
I don't think that you can use the QBASIC to program the DB module.
I have not done this one in about 10 years but if I remember correctly
You need to use some kind of terminal emulation software. In DOS days it was the Crosstalk and Procomm, today it's the Hyperterminal.
AB also used to have a DOS based utility program which facilitates
easy programming and file transfer. Basically though it's just a
terminal emulation with some extra features.
The Basic module uses the 8051 microprocessor with
the Tiny Basic interpreter. You used to be able to download
the interpreter from Intel's web site. Since Basic is not portable
(unlike JAVA - which is supposed to be portable? Sometimes maybe)
between different hardware platforms, I would be surprised if you could use QBASIC?
I also remember that the DB module was quite slow (10 years ago).

Many years ago we used the 8051 basic. It has the same syntax as most basics, but you are limited in variable names. If I remember correctly, only one letter and number are allowed - like X1, X2, etc. for variable names.

Foe downloading, once you have connected with hyperterminal, try pasting the prgram from a text editor. I used to use windows 3.1 terminal. If I remember right, you have to have about a 1/2 second delay between lines.

The old grey cells are a little cobwebbed, but maybe this will help get you started.

The basic programs are just text. You can write them in notepad, and as Tom said just copy and paste. PBase (AB's software) saves the programs as a *.bas just for information. Do not forget to add the delay also as Tom suggested.

Pbase and 1771-DB

In our current PLC 5 with a 1771-DB Basic Mod the up/down comms are being handled via DH and PRT1 (RS232), PRT is connected to a WATLOW PID. The DH is great, the PRT as UP/DOWN is great and also as Printer port, However the WATLOW on PRT2 is a bugger bear, PC to Watlow perfect, PC the DB to Watlow is bad juju. I have tried Null straight, dh 485 no go , so now all we like is finishing up. The port is echoing anything sent from PC even when the WATLOW is NOT connected. Our PROGRAMMING GURU and he is good, has spent hours beating on this and so far no luck. What am I doing wrong, any comments welcome even if I have to take a beating.