IP adress changes

Dear all,

Our IT department has launched the fabulous idea that they or gonna define all IP adresses for the whole factory. Including production Hardware. So "we've" got to change all IP adresses. Now my question is:
I've received the folowing IP-range
"here is de IP range voor Ely2& Ely3 : 10.33.192.0 mask=255.255.248.0 can be split up .

U've an IP range for 2048 host."

Thus anybody what this means, we are in need of more then 20 IP adresses, I don't get it.

Rudi

Rudi,

it means you can use the IP address range from 10.33.192.0 up to 10.33.199.255. You have to use the mask 255.255.248.0 for all these addresses and it's best not to use IPs with 0 or 255 as last address digit (something to do with broadcast and subnets).

Kind regards,

No thanks Rudi. It's just a question of some 'bit-fiddling'. You can find the addresses you can use by writing out the given address and mask in binary. Everywhere the mask has a 1, you have to use the corresponding bit in the address as it is. Where you find a 0 in the mask, the corresponding bit in the address can be choosen. So, in the example you gave, the 11 right most bits could change and make up the address range.

Kind regards,

jvdcande said:
No thanks Rudi. It's just a question of some 'bit-fiddling'. You can find the addresses you can use by writing out the given address and mask in binary. Everywhere the mask has a 1, you have to use the corresponding bit in the address as it is. Where you find a 0 in the mask, the corresponding bit in the address can be choosen. So, in the example you gave, the 11 right most bits could change and make up the address range.

This solves a mystery no IT guy has ever been able to explain to me. Thank you for such a clear explanation.

Dan