DL06 Interrupts

DL06

I am trying to use Mode 40 in order to accurately capture pulses and determine cycles per hour on three machines (the application discussed in my last post).

I just got my AD DL06-DD1 PLC and hooked up a switch to do some manual testing. For now, I just want to take an input on X0, then jump to an interrupt routine, and increment a register by 1. Things work fine when I put the instructions above the (END) marker, but when they are in an interrupt routine, they are not exectuted.

I have gone through the manual extensively, but they don't show how to jump to the subroutine, they only show the subroutine itself and setting up the Mode 40. It is my understanding that if Mode 40 is set up, the X0 input will jump directly to the associated octal interrupt (i.e. O0) without having to put an input rung in the main program. Since it is not jumping to the subroutine, I am thinking that this is wrong.

So far I have...

SP0 (first scan) triggering the following:
-------LD K40
-------OUT V7633
-------LD K4
-------OUT 7634
-------OUT 7635
-------OUT 7636
-------ENI

--------------(END)

[INT O0]

SP1 (always on) triggering the following:
-------LD K1
-------ADD V400
-------OUT V400

--------------(IRT)

What am I missing here?

You are missing a LD statement between the OUT V7634 and OUT V7635. '04' isn't a valid setup for V7635 and V7636. Take a look at Page 3-47 of the user manual and see if that helps.

The setup looks ok to me. Mode 40 (High Speed Interrupts) is available for all 4 inputs. (We use this all the time on our machines.) And your first interpretation of an interrupt is correct. If set up properly the rising edge of the input on X0 will cause an immediate execution of the interrupt routine. make sure to ahve a second {END) statement rung somewhere after the interrupt routine. You see no incrementing of V400 at all?

You hit the nail on the head Bernie (once again).

I didn't have a second end statement. I thought (mistakingly) that the IRT would do the trick. The manual doesn't show the second END anyway...

Thanks Bernie, without your help I would have been walking around in a dark room with a blindfold on for quite a while on this one.

I'm glad you got it.

The structure of the AD programs can be a little confusing. The program has its first section, the actual normal scanned logic followed by an unconditional END rung.

Following this you can have a section with Interrupt routines, Subroutines and constant data sections (DLBL). If you have any of these then they must finally be followed by a second END rung.

Thanks Bernie, I appreciate your help.

I am wondering if I can get some help on setting up my Ethernet communications. I have never done this before and to be honest it isn’t going too smoothly.

My system consist of a DL06-DD1 with a H0-ECOM/100 in slot 4, three EA7-S6M touch panels, and a five port Ethernet hub.

My connections using CAT5 patch cables are as follows:

PC --- HUB

H0-ECOM/100 --- HUB

HMI1 --- HUB

HMI2 --- HUB

HMI3 --- HUB

The dip switches on the H0-ECOM/100 module are all left at zero (factory settings). The PLC is in TERM mode.

In the C-More software, I have selected ‘Obtain address from DHCP’ and ‘Obtain DNS server address automatically’. I seem to have the connection between the PC and the HMI working properly as I can download a program to the panel.

In the DirectSOFT32 software, I cannot seem to access the PLC by Ethernet. I select my port as ‘Ethernet’, transport as ‘Winstock’, and transport protocol as ‘UDP/IP’. I know that the PC and the PLC as talking since the MAC address of the unit shown matches with the one printed on the card itself and the module number matches the dip switch setting at zero. I click on next to try to connect and I get the message ‘Error connecting to PLC, Error: Transport protocol error, Ext Error: Timout error’. No luck using the IPX transport protocol either, as no modules show up on the following screen.

Anything obvious jumping out at you that I am doing wrong?

Have you used netEdit to set the PLC's IP addy?
I don't believe that the HECOM supports DHCP.
Does it have an IP addy?
Can you ping it?

Hi CroCop, good to hear from you. I am very new to the Ethernet connection setup methodology and have been trying to learn from the manuals (and pulling some hair out here and there…)

I have tried to use NetEdit with little success. Going by page 2-4 of the ECOM manual, I plug in 255.255.0.0 for a subnet mask, 192.68.50.2 for an IP address, and there is no info for the gateway so I left this at all zeros. It seems to go through alright, but on the main list of devices the IP address is still shown as all zeros.

What exactly should I be using for these three values?

Thanks for your help on this.

Actually, I'm getting an 'error 32774 in WriteGeneral while writing DT_IP_ADDRESS'. I didn't have 'use the following IP address' selected in my previous post.

Start -> Run -> Cmd -> ipconfig/all

This well tell you what your computer's IP addy is.
Say it comes back 192.186.144.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0
Now you need to set the Network Address on the Ecom as 192.168.144.xxx (not 1). This needs to be a unique number, not on your network. Give it the same subnet mask as your computer has.

Start -> Run -> Cmd -> ping 192.168.144.xxx (or whatever you set your ECOM IP addy for)

You should get back something like 5 TTL or somewhere in that range.

Once you get that far, you can now create an ethernet driver for the Directsoft.

Thanks CroCop. One more silly question for you. How do I set the IP address on the ECOM? When I start NetEdit3 it doesn't find anything. Should I leave the dip switches at 0 or does it matter?

I tried setting up a link at the bottom of the DSlaunch menu, but didn't have luck. Should I be using the Winstock - TCP/IP - ECOM for my settings?

If you can tell me exactly where I need to punch in this information I would appreciate it.

i will set things up tomorrow morning and get back to you on how it goes.

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me on this.

Last edited:
Okay, the module showed up in NetEdit3 (before nothing would show up) and I now have communication with the PLC. Now I just have to get the HMI talking with the PLC and we will see how that goes.

Thanks for the help CroCop. That command prompt ipconfig helped me out.

Good deal. Let us know how it goes!
You should notice that the Ethernet is many, many times faster then your serial connection.

I definitely did notice the speed difference. I am just in the early stages of my PLC programming, but already I noticed the speed difference in uploading the program to the PLC, despite the currently small program size. I am going to get all of the functionality working properly for one machine, then duplicate the program two more times to monitor the three machines that I need to off of one PLC.

I got the HMI and PLC talking now and I have to say that the C-More is a nice unit. The programming software is intuitive and the touch screen is going to be a nice, flexible way to give the operators information and allow them to send information back to the PLC.

I love working on this stuff and seeing my ideas come to life. The company that I am with doesn't have too much in the way of automation, PLCs, etc and they have been happy with the projects that I have implemented to monitor production and track takt time. Managers who are not technically inclined are really blown away with what an inexpensive automation direct PLC and screen can do. At the same time,I get to learn something new and get value from the project. Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

Thanks again for your help CroCop. I may need a few more nudges in the right direction along the way, but for the next little bit I will be tediously setting up all of the tags that I need (and there will be a LOT of these).