How did you find your last job?

How did you find your last permanent job?

• Newspaper Advertisement

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • Refered by someone, word of mouth

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • Careerpath / Career Builder

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Monster

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Hot Jobs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other Job Posting Site, please specify

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • State Employment Service, or School Placement

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Private Employment Service

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Cold calling, sending out resumes

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other, please specify

Votes: 12 15.2%

• Total voters
I grew up down the street from the engineering manager for R&D.
He had a position open for someone with good engineering skills & automation (motion, PID, etc.).
I knew basic ladder, he hired me anyhow, and I figured it out on the job.

Hi Folks...The job I have now I got by sending out about a dozen resume's and not hearing anything from any of them for over a year(not so much as a no thanks,kiss my butt,or etc.etc...}I was working 3rd shift and the maintenance manager at this company called me and woke me up and hired me over the phone.{sight unseen}and I've been there for over 18 and a half years.

Later...Todd

Got tapped on the shoulder and finished up working for him after we drank 7 bottles of good Ozzie red wine. Neither of us went to work the next day.

My factory was closing, and I got rang up by a couple of different employers. I interviewed them, got them to fill in applications, then went to work for the best one.
This seems to be opposite of the way it usually works, but in WA that is how the market is for engineers.

I was just offered a new position. IT was by word of mouth as well. I had been looking a little, but nothing I really wanted to take as the last one was 85% travel and I am not really interested in being away from my family that much.

One of the engineers where I work recently left and found that the new company still needed people. They called me a week ago last thursday and by this thursday, I had the offer with substaintial gains and benefits that I need now. My wife now has the option of not working and staying home with our 6yo son. This was a fantastic turn of events.

David

Actually elevmike's suggestion (nepotism actually) applies to me. I followed my brother-in-law to two companies. Both worked out well learning moraa stuff at each. At my current my brother-in-law moved on to another company and bigger/better things in a related field (almost 20 years ago now) while I sort of eased into the main (actually 'only') controls programmer position.

More and more big and small companies now days advertize only at their own website.
This makes harder and harder to find a good job, looking at every website almost like calling and sending resumes to every building on the street.

Posted Other

Hopefully this applies to this thread as a category but what about the "I started my own business" item?

My wife and I started our business on -$10,000 over four years ago. We had a few setbacks, almost lost everything we owned while feeding 4 children at the time. Together, we have built a very strong business and we would not have it any other way!!!

Regards,
Chris

It was the San Jose Mercury paper for me, 11.5 wonderful years...ok, 11 years and .5 wonderful, but i'm still here, can't be that bad

Mine was a combo of Cold Calling/Knowing Someone/Use to work there....

The first time I worked there my wife was an employee there and got the information for me to fill out and I applied. I worked there for a while and then was offered a job at a sawmill by a company who saw my resume on Monster/Dice/Hot Jobs/Career Builder.

That didnt work out so I was unemployeed for about five months. During that five months I tried every way. I got hits off the internet job boards (many interviews), through the newspapers, TV ad's, company websites etc. The way I finally got mine is I called the Plant Engineer and said I was unemployeed and I would like to come work at the new plant they are building. And the rest is history....

Got a call while still in school from a former Sunday School teacher; his exact words were, "I need an electrical engineer and I can't afford one." After I graduated we found a way for both of us to be happy and I've never looked back.