How did you find your last job?

How did you find your last permanent job?

• Newspaper Advertisement

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • Refered by someone, word of mouth

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • Careerpath / Career Builder

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Monster

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Hot Jobs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other Job Posting Site, please specify

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • State Employment Service, or School Placement

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Private Employment Service

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Cold calling, sending out resumes

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other, please specify

Votes: 12 15.2%

• Total voters
I did contract work for the company I now work for through another company for about 10 years. The company I was working for closed up and they called me to help them with a few projects and I began doing contract work for them directly. I enjoyed working with the people and it was an excellent place to work so finally just went on the payroll. Yes, the money is better and you have more flexibility on your own but I have never regretted my decision. I enjoy going to work everyday

I spent six years as a communications electronics tech in the Marine Coprs. First day home a friend of mine that is a mechanic at a local printing plant came by to shoot the bull. When he had to leave to go to his second shift job he asked me if I wanted to go look around the plant and see what he did for a living. Went to the plant and got to talking with the Maintenance Manager. He was telling me about needing to get some cat 5 ran for the "New high speed network." I told him that running cat 5 was simple and his resident electrician could do it. He asked me if I had any industrial experience. I said nope, but if he ever needed a PRC-77 or RT-524 fixed I could hook him up. He offered me a job on the spot on a trial basis learning industrial controls and running the cat 5. That was on a Friday, I started Monday. Four days out of the Marines and I had a job. I planned on staying there just long enough to find a "Real Job". That was nine years and three months ago and I'm still there. My boss went on to bigger and better things and the position was offered to me. I am now very thankful that I took my friend up on his offer to show me around a printing plant.

Dale

How I got my current job: Quit in disgust at age 42. Have not worked regular job since, although worked plenty of ir-regular ones!

Came into the USA November 2000 to a technical instructors job in Milwaukee that had been kept open while I got immigration sorted.
The job lasted 6 weeks after falling victim to the incidious hire and fire sceme of things in the USA, the company was in financial difficulty and 90 other employees were fired same day, WELCOME TO THE USA!
So I left the area and went UP NORTH , was in the right place at the right time and was asked to repair some equipment that had been stopped for a week after two electricians had been scratching their heads over it.
Got all the machines running following day (they were all in sequence, one stops all stops) and was offered a job.
I found that employment agencies of any description were absolutely useless...if you want something doing you might as well do it yourself.:)

I just looked at the voting, I can certainly agree with the 'word of mouth' vote, that seems to work far better than anything

Last edited:
My last job was at an electronics board manufacturing company. Did that for about 1.5 years before they closed down their Singapore co. to move to China. I'm still a student studying and working to pay my fee then. I do circuit layout schematics and layering and I like working there. They asked me if I will be interested to move to China to work, but I do not why I never replied them...:unsure:
Thinking back, I should have taken the job...It would be so challenging to work in a foreign country!

regards
Sherine T.

I put my resume on monster on a Thursday night while applying for a different job online. On the following Monday I had a phone call from my current company and onthe following Friday I was hired. Now I realize I hate it and I'm back to looking. It seems harder this time.

I got my current job by them calling me up one day and asking if I wanted to interview with them. It's getting to be time to look for another job soon and one place I'm interviewing was thru a recruiter, and the other via their website.

I found my current position via the local newspaper, I left here for about 6 months also after a newspaper ad.

I came back after they made me a much better offer while contracting for them, bad mistake. I left for a reason.

I'm currently negotitating with another place that was found via a recruiter.

10 years ago I was in the 'Process end' of a production facility, and dabbled in controls/ programming. This particular company only allowed chemical engineers into their upper management. Even though I had trained many of them, I was steadily turned down for promotions because I was not a degreed engineer.

After another refusal for promotion, I was also told I would no longer recieve pay increases because I had hit the salary cap for my 'position'. I told the plant superintendent I probably wouldn't be there for long.

He actually helped set up my transfer to a company that supplied all of our controls and programming, which was very fragile since the companies had mutual agreements on hiring people from each other.

Ironically 'Engineer' has been in my job title ever since.

* From some of the other responses, I think 'Being in the right place at the right time' should have been an option in the poll.

Last edited:
Applied for a posting through my college's graduate career center. Been with this company for 5 yrs now and am pretty happy. At the time I also applied for I think 4 jobs throught Workopolis.com and recieved 3 interviews within 2 weeks of submiting my resume.

Andrew Evenson

cntrlfrk said:
10 years ago I was in the 'Process end' of a production facility, and dabbled in controls/ programming. This particular company only allowed chemical engineers into their upper management. Even though I had trained many of them, I was steadily turned down for promotions because I was not a degreed engineer.

After another refusal for promotion, I was also told I would no longer recieve pay increases because I had hit the salary cap for my 'position'. I told the plant superintendent I probably wouldn't be there for long.

He actually helped set up my transfer to a company that supplied all of our controls and programming, which was very fragile since the companies had mutual agreements on hiring people from each other.

Ironically 'Engineer' has been in my job title ever since.

* From some of the other responses, I think 'Being in the right place at the right time' should have been an option in the poll.

I pm'd you, where in NE do you work?

David