Mode switch Micrologix-1500

BDKuhns

Does anyone know of a history of trouble with the mode switch on the MicroLogix 1500 series PLC’s? I’m trying to make a modification to the program, and the mode switch won’t switch back and forth from run to program mode. I've gone to the AB web site and done a search here. Any help?

Look for something addressing S:1/1 or S:1/6. 1 is program mode and 6 is run mode. If something, could be a Panelview also, is forcing S:1/6 to 1 it may cause it not to be able to exit run mode. I have never tried this but it might get you in the right direction

There is a PanelView 300 connected to the controler. I disconnect it in order to connect the RS232 cable to my laptop. I have been able to do this in the past. Is this switch a physical single pole/triple throw switch?

There is a PanelView 300 connected to the controler. I disconnect it in order to connect the RS232 cable to my laptop. I have been able to do this in the past. Is this switch a physical single pole/triple throw switch?
Lost me on that one, I have actually only used the Micrologix 1000, 1100, and 1200 but are you saying it has a keyswitch for switching modes?

Yes, on the far left of the face of the controler panel, there is a door that has a switch (run/rem/prog), and two trim pots under it. Upon attempting to download a program from the laptop to the controler, RSL-500 prompts to flip this switch to "program" mode in order to continue. Like I posted earlier, in the past this has not been a problem. Now, when I move the switch from run to program, it does not stay there and returns to run position.

Ok, so were are talking about a hard wired switch and not a switch on the front of the PLC. Is that correct?

Did you do a cross reference on S:1/1 and S:1/6

This mode switch is built into the PLC. This is new to me too, as the other PLC's that I use do not have this switch. I have not cross refenced S:1/1 and S:1/6 although I know that there is a S:? first scan statemant in the program. This has not caused any problem prior. I'm starting to think that the switch itself is bad. Was hoping that there was a work-around for this (or maybe a history of this problem with this controler).

What about the center position REM ( software control- program,run)
Will that work. Does the switch phyically spring back?
I always leave it in the REM position.

Ok so the Micrologix 1500 does have a switch built into the front of the PLC. I was not aware of that. Sorry for the confusion

No, this switch has a tiny black plastic arm that should be able to be moved into any of the three positions. When I attempt to push it from the run position, it does move but does not stay there. The "RUN" led on the face of the panel also does not switch off. I'm starting to think that this switch is simply broken. If this is the case -WOW-. Such a simple little device like this could render the entire controler usless.

Wow, I have one in front of me now and the switch works just fine. Snaps to all three positions. I have installed 5 of these no problems at all.

I've search to see if there is something that would prevent this switch from operating. I really am having difficutly coming to terms that this switch is broken. Because if it is...............12Gauge!

Beats the heck out of me then. Of course I didn't even realize the ML1500 had a keyswitch. Never seen one on a SLC, Controllogix, PLC5, etc go bad but I guess anythings possible