High School math quiz...

elevmike

Ok guys & gals,

Given the end points on a Cartesian plane: (x1, y1), (x2, y2) and the radius, how do you find the length of an arch...

Gone brain dead and trying to figure out the lenth of a drag link..

Maybe this is better; the arc angle is 135 deg and the radius is 23.60

Last edited:
No I didnt, it just dawned on me.

Pi R^2 = full circumfrence. 135/360 * full circumfrence = my answer.

Last edited:
If I think about it long enough it is a logical conclusion, given the facts that I have absorbed over the years, thanks to a couple of very good Geometry profs. (And a "Male" approach to my spacial environment!)

One of the definitions that I can still remember is that one radian is the angle formed when the arc length of a circular segment equals the radius.

Had I not remembered that, I probably would have figured it out using the proportional method that Mike used.

A couple of years ago we had a 20 year old kid working here who was a human calculator. For some odd reason he had a 4.0 HS grade point but never applied for college. I encouraged him to go back to school. Eventually he did & now I really miss him.