Modicon 984-A145 out of memory!

ControlLogix

Hi guys,

I have 24 Modicon 984-A145's with 8K of memory. I am currently in the middle of a validation of the software and have found that I am out of memory. I have gone through all the networks and pulled it back from the brink but I am still in trouble.

Long term I have to get more memory as there will be upgrades carried out after the validation. I have been told by Schneider that I can't expand the memory with additional memory cards and instead I will have to purchase new PLC processors or change the PLC platform!

I am a doubting Thomas when it comes to Schneider telling me the memory cards don't work. Can anybody confirm or contradict what I have been told.

Thanks in advance,

Colm

I pretty sure Schneider are correct on this one - the slot on that CPU is for an EEPROM.

Have you tried sourcing any of the larger processor models anywhere... E984-251 /5 /8 etc?

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, the project doesn't have the money for 24 new proc's. The budget could have stretched to new memory cards (probably). I don't have a clue where I can get PLC CPU's at a resonsable price. Since they are going out of production shortly Schneider are cranking the price of them up to force us into an upgrade which we can't afford since the time implications and money would be huge (think 72 processors plus i/o cards, FDA environment....my head is spinning!).

Anybody got bigger CPU's for sale?

Rgds,

Colm

The 984-A145 processor memory cannot be upgraded. Upgrading to a newer generation processor like the 984-E265 would be expensive but painless (all of the Modicon I/O and the programs are interchangeable). Primary reasons for discontinuing them are the lead in the solder on the circuit boards and the difficulty in maintaining old 8 bit CPUs.