VB6, VS.NET and C++

Travis

I have been experimenting with VB6 to create HMI for projects and it's going as expected. I was wondering if some of the Guru's here had any ideas on the following.

Has anyone tried using VS.NET (Visual Studio.NET) to create their HMI's that was formerly using VB6? - If so how do you like it and is it better or worse?

(assuming everyone knows MS is retiring VB for VS.NET soon)

Also is anyone using C/C++ to create their HMI? Would C++ be better than VB or VS?

I can't really see why I should use anything but panel PC's anymore for the HMI and I was wondering what everyone else is using.

Thanks.

I think your a little confused on what Visual Studio.Net is. Visual Studio is a suite of five or so Programming packages from MS. It contains VB.Net, C++.Net, I think FoxPro and a couple others, I don't remember them specifically because I haven't used them. There was a Visual Studio 6.0 which contained a suite of software as well. So all VS.Net is is the newest suite of .Net software. So your still programming in Visual Basic or C++ it's just the newest version which they are calling .Net rather than 7.0

FYI

If anyone would like to have a 60 day demo of VS.net on DVD than MS has it available:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/productinfo/trial/default.asp

That site will also give you more details on the product. There is a $1.50 fee plus a $5.00 shipping charge. This is kind of standard for MS, $6.00 or thereabouts for demo cd/dvd with programs.

Note: I do not work for MS and offered this for informational purposes only.

Last edited:
Also is anyone using C/C++ to create their HMI? Would C++ be better than VB (or VS)?

I can't say who is better, but I 'allmost learnt' VB in one week.
(I have 10.000 h experince with HT-Basic allready)
But VC++ (with MFC) toke 1 yer and I can handle VB better than VC++ for HMI.