SoftPLC vs PLC

seppoalanen

Nowadays we need more and more of Production Data handling. PLC is not very flexible for Datahandling. Interfaces, protocols etc. are not standardized worldwide, memory is very limited and programming languages are more as assembler level languages; very good for bit handling, but anything else is not;.

Anyhow SQL-data have located to some 'Mill-computing' system and interfacing from PLC to Mill-systems is 'big project'. Internet is good samble how data can move easyly from here, from Finland to you by fiber optic cables and cople of servers.

If we have SoftPLC in some Mill-Computing PC, we can use Software interfaces whitch MicroSoft and Linux have made possible.
Windows is not real-time OS from the very beginning but RealTime Linux is. Anyhow I don't know where we normally need truly RealTime ?

PC needs only some method for i/o as DeviceNetCard, AsiMasterCard etc. can get information from Process to SoftPLC.
PC is hundreds of time faster than any PLC for mathematics ets.
See also: http:/www.puffinplc.control.com/

PC is hundreds of time faster than any PLC for mathematics ets.

Seppo,

fortunately for those guys among us who still use PLC's (the most I guess), PLC's are 100 times more stable than PC's. I for one would NEVER trust MicroSoft for controlling a production line. Fat chance you get as many bugs in your products as there are in Windows.

Jean Pierre

Hi Peter,
I didn't know that trade mark business, but in my mind SoftPLC is the common word as Computer, and I wonder how that kind of trade marking is possible. There are a lot of other softplcs and they use it as term.

Hi jvdcande,
thats why I mentioned Linux. Any how same solutions do not need 100% usability so Windows is usable some times, also they trust of big SQL-Server apllications under Windows and Scada-applications, I have to trust wihtout other choice of OS, do you use Scada applications under Windows ?

Forums:
http:/www.control.com/
http:/www.puffinplc.control.com/

Sep Im with you on the windows subject.

People always worry about the Windows blue screen when talking about using PCs for process control but I think since Windows 2000 the platform is pretty solid.

I know there are still problems when installing new equipment, but once installed it shouldnt be a prob.

I have only seen them in a demo and never on a plant floor but does any out there use the AB panelviews with the Windows CE platform? I guess AB has the confidence in microsoft use their products so it must be reliable.

I guess I'm conservative, but I don't trust Win 2000 totally either. Besides, it scares me to have a single point of failure for my complete plant or even a major system.

With a softplc (r)? you still need I/O to wire to the real world. It is usually the same cost to use small PLCs (like the AutomationDirect DL-05) or "smart" I/O (GE Versamax with ladder logic processor for example). Then you can have critical control handled locally in a more reliable PLC platform. You use the same communications network you would otherwise need for the softplc to get the data back to a PC running operator interface or SCADA software. The PC can do the data logging, tie to the internet, link to data bases, whatever. If the operator starts playing flight simulator and crashes the PC the control integrity is uncompromised.

With a softplc (r)? you still need I/O to wire to the real world.
- there can be many ways, Some FieldBusScannerCard in PC and some Fieldbus remoteIoUnits on the field, ASi-MasterCard in PC and ASi-remoted I/O on the fiel, Ethernet I/O-units on the Field, etc.
Traditional I/O is the same cost I think.

Then you can have critical control handled locally in a more reliable PLC platform.
- I can't say reliability very much. I have experiens only from DeviceNet with PC, it have worked 2 yers without errors.

If the operator starts playing flight simulator and crashes the PC the control integrity is uncompromised.
- have to limit operators accessing

The mains: CRT, SerialPorts 2 in motherBoard and virtually ports with USB or Ethernet a' 60$, KeyBoard 101 pushbuttons, mouse, USB, Ethernet, RAM 256M, HardDisk 30-60G etc.
All in one.