Common PLC's used with OEMs

Farnish

F
Could anyone suggest to me a PLC manufacturer that is known to be used with OEM's that has current driven outputs (0-2.5 amps to drive proportional solenoids). Any info would be appreciated.

Unless you have a 'module' or pod of some sort, I think an
analog output of 0-2.5 AMPS will be tough to find.

DELTA makes a little unit (RMC) that has proportional outputs,
and, you can tie it to a Modbus or AutomationDirect, so that
might work.

AutomationDirect.com has discrete relay outputs on several models that will handle higher currents - in some units up to 10 Amps. Several other PLC platforms can provide ratings over 5 amps on relay outputs.

Having said that, I think it is a bad idea to drive a solenoid directly off a PLC output - contacts arc, and it is much better to use an inexpensive plug in external relay instead of drive directly from the PLC.

If you want an analog output variable from 0 to 2.5 amps, I can't offer any help. This would be a fairly unusual requirement, and there is probably an interface device offered by teh valve supplier that will amplify the more common 0-10 VDC or 4-20 mA signals to their requirement.

I believe the key word in the original post was PROPORTIONAL.

Mannesman makes proportional valve driver modules, but only
for their own valves. Likewise for Moog, Parker, and others.

My experience is that these manufacturers make their own
amplifiers for very good reasons (response, dither, ramps,
safety).

At one time, Moog was going to build an OEM type circuit
board that you could program, and drive multiple valves
from. I don't know if they ever released it to the market.

Not enough current.

jdbrandt said:
Unless you have a 'module' or pod of some sort, I think an
analog output of 0-2.5 AMPS will be tough to find.

DELTA makes a little unit (RMC) that has proportional outputs,
and, you can tie it to a Modbus or AutomationDirect, so that
might work.

The RMC can not source that much current directly. The RMC is a motion/pressure controller that outputs +/- 10 volts, not an amplifier or power unit. As suggested above, there are valve driver cards that will convert a +/- 10 volt signal to 2.5 amps. Most valve manufacturers have amplifiers that are optimized for their valves.