String between Control Logix and RSView32

Cantrolcu

Hi. I'm trying to relate a string tag from the MMI (RSView32) with a String tag on the PLC (Control Logix). Basically I would like to be able to storage on the PLC the current user on the MMI. I created a String tag on the PLC but there is not way I can link the MMI tag with the PLC tag. It doesn't matter where I'm pointing the tag, the tag.data, or the tag.data[0].
Does anybody know how to transfer string tags between the PLC and the MMI.
Thanks
Luis

Are you using a String Display object on your screen?

What exactly do you see? Do you see bogus string data or an error trying to read the tag?

Assuming you are connected to the controller properly, a String Display object connected to the actual tag should work. Make sure you are referencing the 'actual' tag and not .data or .data[0]

Maybe a little more info would be helpful.

There are dozens of technotes on ABs knowledgbase at AB.com on how to solve a variety of string problems between RSView and Control Logix. The Control Logix handles strings better than the PLC5 and SLC500, but that comes at a price when you connect an RSView station- there are some gotcha's if you don't know what to watch out for. However the solutions are simple. Check the knowledgebase because there are a number of CLX-RSView string work-a-rounds and you'll need to pick the one that will fit your application.