CPU SLC5/03 Fault

khalid_inayat

hi,
i m new in Allen Bradley automation systems,so i need to ask one question , i put one CPU SLC 5/03 with some i/o modules to work which was not powered for sometime.when i gave power to the Power supply , the Fault LED is keep blinking along with DH485 LED.but Fault LED is blinking faster than DH 485 LED .What does it means ,i tried to reset through key switch,but it does'nt work and the problem remains same.
In this mode RSLinx is also not detecting the CPU ( i m using nulll modem cable configuration to connect my PC to Channel 0 of SLC).

Did the CPU ever have a program in it? If not, or it was lost due to being powered down for a long period of time, then the fault is due to no program in the memory. As for your communications, connect the null-modem cable between your laptop serial port and the serial port of the SLC. In RSLinx Configure Drivers menu, select RS-232 DF1 devices driver. When the configuration screen appears, click the auto configure button.

did you load a program in to the plc
if its been with out power for a long tim it might have lost the program

got beat to the post

Hi Khalid,

The fault may be because there is no program in the processor. If the battery is dead and the power has been off for a long time, the program will be lost, and that would explain the flashing fault light. To communicate with the processor, if you're using RSLinx, try to autoconfigure the DF1 driver. Default communication settings are DF1 Full Duplex, 19200 baud, no handshaking, CRC error check, duplicate detect on, no parity. The link below is for the SLC500 manual and it contains a troubleshooting section. I hope this helps.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1747-um011_-en-p.pdf

Edit: I was a little slow in posting... there are some great tips in the previous posts.

Last edited:
From what I've been told, if the I/O configuration dosen't match what the SLC is programed to expect (with the correct cards in specified slots) it will go into a fault mode.