FromPLC to Microsoft Access

bakuldami

I use Allen Bradley RSLogix as well as Siemens S7 programming software. I need to capture high speed counter data, assign day, date, time stamp and move it to Microsoft Access for daa manipulation (Line speed is app 400 pieces per minute). How do I establish the link between the Access and PLC? Any ideas? DO I need any additional interface or some program query/change will be good enough to accomplish this task? Thanks for suggestions, I appreciate it

it seams you want to transfer data from PLC to PC and transfer it fast enough (400 parts per minute => one part every 150ms)?
if you expect to send data for each part, you might want to consider buffering inside PLC so that fewer messages are needed for data transfer. what processor(s) you want to use and what type of connection is available?

I am in the middle of a project where we are using an Access database with a plc system. In this case the HMI was WinCC Flexible Advanced. I just used ADO to connect and SQL statements to read and write to Access via VB Script in the HMI. However, the frequency that I need to write or read to the database is relatively low and could not comment how often read/write could take place but I am confident if you need to write every 150msec that this technique would not suffice especially with Access. Also, if you were to write this often I dont think Access would be the appropriate database due to the size the database would evolve to. I would recommned SQL or MYSql (freeware).

you can use an opc server as an universal data access interface, and use some "real-time" database to store a fast data stream.

panic mode said:
it seams you want to transfer data from PLC to PC and transfer it fast enough (400 parts per minute => one part every 150ms)?
if you expect to send data for each part, you might want to consider buffering inside PLC so that fewer messages are needed for data transfer. what processor(s) you want to use and what type of connection is available?

Yes, 150 ms per part. Since I need Date, time stamp, how do I do that in PLC before transfering the data to Access? I can buffer in the PLC but not sure how do I date, time stamp in PLC? I use Allen Bradley PLC502 with DH485 connection.

I do not know if you need date and time stamp for every product, my guess is that you can use and need them let's say for every 100 pieces, what you can do is to set up a counter inside the plc and every 100 pieces you record quantity, date and time stamp. For date and time use S registers in the SLC 502, in Siemens I have no experience.

Every time you update your counter you can have a biy inside the plc that send your data to Acesss, i guess you will need an opc server.

widelto

Do you have the solution to communicate with your PLC in Modbus IP, because i just finish to write a vb program to communicate with a PLC in modbus IP (Typical SCHNEIDER) and store the data directly in a access, i also can store it in a mysql database (just some modifications), with this optic you can think about all posible solution , just explain one and i can write a specifique application for you.

i just think about anoyher solution for you, if you have a look to the download section i have put a prog named "seveur modbusip", this soft is a tcp server who send/receive modbus tcp/ip frames and stock the value by adress in a access database, it s very easy to modify my prog for only read the modbus frame and write the reslut of the frame in the access databse incrementaly.

You may consider using EdgeWare, which would allow local processing of input device data close to the PLC, with the capability of sending processed data to the PLC via Ethernet/IP or PROFINET, while simultaneously sending data upstream to your access database.

Go to google and type EdgeWare barcode for the details, as my link won't post here correctly.

Contact me if you might be interested in additional details.