What does CT mean?

rsdoran

Lifetime Supporting Member
If you saw CT used as an electrical term what would it mean to you?

I will explain why I asked after I see what is stated. This is not a student type questior or a joke.

I normally think of "current transformer" when I hear CT.

However, being in the control panel business for a long time, I have also heard others refer to "control transformer" as a CT.

Normally I would think of a current transformer as well. However, if the drawing is using the ISA tag format then 'C' is designated as a user defined tag letter with 'T' being the designation for Transmitter.

In the ISA format a current transformer would be designated IT.

(ISA standard instrument designation chart attached)

Alaric,

You are very correct. ISA has a way of messing up a good thing. :D

ISA changes their own standards often enough. I try to stick to ISA standards for my student's sake, but care must be taken to get the same ISA standard version.

At least once a semester I present them with a different standard, just to watch the reaction.

Ct

OK CT in electrical context; Current Transformer, Center Tap, Computed Tomography. Carbon/Tungston filiment is another. Common Terminal is labeled on some PCBs as CT.