What does CT mean?

I'm with you on this one, Ron. I use current transmitters in most of my applications, and I make a point of using the full term because CT almost universally means "current transformer" in industry.

And as an aside, nothing pi**es me off more than some twerp who thinks citing his credentials automatically creates the assumption that he is correct. In my experience, people that cite credentials are usually doing so because they have little else to go on. The guys that can do the job prove it by DOING THE JOB!

Tom Jenkins said:
And as an aside, nothing pi**es me off more than some twerp who thinks citing his credentials automatically creates the assumption that he is correct. In my experience, people that cite credentials are usually doing so because they have little else to go on. The guys that can do the job prove it by DOING THE JOB!

Has anyone, besides myself, ever noticed that those "ENGINEERS WORKING FOR MAJOR COMPANIES" usually have been on mother earth for less years than some of us have been doing this "electrical" work?

I am with both of you guys. To me and my antique education circa 69-71 CT was current transformer.

To me a TRANSDUCER converts one form of energy to another.
IE: pressure to electrical, rotational to electrical, electrical to mechanical, fire and sssssoooooo on.

OK so what did this all prove - In different industries there is the same acronym that mean different things? The person who you got the PM from was wrong? Most people agree that CT is for a current transformer but does that mean in the industry the BSer is working in that it can not mean current transducer? Was this a way to "prove" him wrong? He shouldn't have written a nasty note disagreeing but this seemed like it was between you and him. Ron, contrary to what you claim, you are smart and you know a lot more than most BSers here or many other places so I'm not sure why you would question this (especially if it is industry specific).

I guess the point I'm getting at is it seems there has been a lot of animosity on this site. There has been emotions running high on quite a few posts that, for me, is detracting why I come here. I have little interest (at least when I come here) in religion, politics, gas prices, and other off topic things. This is really counter productive and seems to be getting more the norm here.

That said, once I had to put MOVs on a MOV.

Most people agree that CT is for a current transformer but does that mean in the industry the BSer is working in that it can not mean current transducer? Was this a way to "prove" him wrong?

I do not always state thing clearly and sometimes I use terms that are not always appropriate. I was not trying to prove anyone wrong but actually the opposite, to determine if I could be using the term improperly or if it is possible that it has more than one "common" meaning; or if it was a term that in the electrical field that was fully defined by standards etc.

The PM was sent to me at the patch.com forum. I still do not know what it was in reference too so "assumed", since I have not recently had a conversation on this subject, that it was related to one of the webpages there. Most of the information provided there is based on basic electrical and maintenance work that I have learned over the years and have reference materials to support.

I guess you could say I am semi-retired and not as involved as I once was. Standards, symbols, and many things change over time so was attempting to verify if I was using CT as an abbreviation for current transformer it would be understood what was meant.

As I mentioned earlier the term tong-tester was used when talking about what is now called a clamp-on.

jstolaruk said:
Unbelievable. From your other post "I visit this site often but generally keep my mouth shut", you should have followed it.

You are correct, I apologize for the out of line comment. It wasn't meant to slight any of the previous posters. Sometimes I can type faster than I can think.

A "transducer" converts one form of energy into another.

An audio speaker ("transducer") converts an electrical energy (voltage and current) to mechanical energy (audio).

A pressure transmitter ("transducer") converts pressure energy (Force over Area) to an electrical energy (voltage and current).

I sure you can think of more...

A typical "CT" is installed around a single conductor. It is subject to the magnetic field developed by the current in that conductor. The "CT" then attempts to develop a current that is proportional to the winding-ratio. It is typical that the "CT" is connected to a particular, and specified, load (resistance). This affects the actual current developed.

At this point, the "CT" is NOT converting one form of energy to another. In this case, "current" begats "current". By definition, since the energy-forms are maintained, the "CT" is excluded from being classified as a "transducer".

Now, it might very well be the case that the "voltage" developed across the specified resistance is further used by another device to produce a non-electrical effect. In that case, that device is a "transducer".

The "CT" is NOT a "transducer".

allscott said:
You are correct, I apologize for the out of line comment. It wasn't meant to slight any of the previous posters. Sometimes I can type faster than I can think.

thanks, I appreciate that.

For me, "CT" can be used for a whole lot of things. I had a lot of time early in the instrumentation side of things and what jumped into my head came from years of acronyms from a small nitch in electronics.

Its similar to some customers wanting "PRS" and some others wanting "PRX", both to designate proximity switches. Yeah, I'm sure there is some "correct" use but ultimately the customer is always right, even when he's wrong. Its important to know that these acronyms mean different things to different people depending on their background.

Heck, my younger brother is an electrical engineer designing and growing semi-conductors. They use common acronyms for really wild stuff that I know little if anything about.

A "CT" is a current transformer by anyone who has any electrical training. To call it anything else is a maliligned attempt to make yourself sound smarter than you really are.

Technically this is a correct statement therefore Allscott you have nothing to apologize for.

thanks, I appreciate that.

For me, "CT" can be used for a whole lot of things. I had a lot of time early in the instrumentation side of things and what jumped into my head came from years of acronyms from a small nitch in electronics.

The first fact to UNDERSTAND is at NO POINT did I state electronics.

If you saw CT used as an electrical term what would it mean to you?

I have been congenial on this up to now but you have attempted to discredit all comments just to be contrary and also rude to Allscott for stating what is a fact. I was not asking for opinion, I was asking for what is/was common to the electrical field.

I appreciate Brucechase comments about knowing more than some engineers but I know that is not the truth, even Bruce has chastised me in the past.

That said I have been in the "ELECTRICAL" field for over 20 years and KNOW I do not know everything BUT I have managed to retain some things over that period. Where I can help on sites like this is the fact that I have "time" and the ability to find information.

With all that said Terry stated;
At this point, the "CT" is NOT converting one form of energy to another. In this case, "current" begats "current". By definition, since the energy-forms are maintained, the "CT" is excluded from being classified as a "transducer".

I am not sure about this aspect because in some cases a "CT" had a voltage output, I think it was called a Rokowski coil...what it was used for I do not know because it has been too long, I just remember it and may not have spelled it correctly. I think that may qualify as one form of energy to another though.

Since a debate has been started PRS is the abbrevation most commonly applied to a proximity switch AND is designated by NFPA and others, again this is a device that is newer to the electrical field than other type switches so some may not follow the "standards".

WITH all the above said if at any point I or anyone else makes an improper statement then it should be corrected BUT in that process you do not have to rude or assinine.

Last edited:
In the AC and DC drive world, CT means Constant Torque as in constant torque load or a 150% overload rated drive commonly called Constant Torque rated.

Not that this takes anything away from the other probably better definitions we've seen above!

rsdoran said:

Its clear I'm in the minority here about what CT means and thats fine with me, but I'm curious. In which post did I imply you were assinine or was I rude to you? Especially since I never intended anything of the sort.

I reckon text messaging just leaves out too much for many of us to understand the full meaning of what is stated, therefore we make assumptions.

For me: first was Center Tap, 2nd was current transducer, 3rd was capacitive transducer.

The transducer part was in question but as far as electrical goes for most "sparkies" etc none of those would be thought of, at least I do not think they would.

A "CT" is a current transformer by anyone who has any electrical training. To call it anything else is a maliligned attempt to make yourself sound smarter than you really are.

Unbelievable. From your other post "I visit this site often but generally keep my mouth shut", you should have followed it.

Allscotts comment was correct, in general, because CT is taught to mean current transformer AND people state things different to make theirself sound smarter. Your opinion may be different but since most replies confirm this statement why make this reply? It basically states "Keep your mouth shut because I am smarter than you".

Ron, I said most and I do mean that. As for chastising, I would say disagree with you and not meant disrespectfully. Anyone who works in the electrical industry for 20+ years has to know something or they would have killed themselves. As you can see though, this thread, like many others, is getting more personal than they used to. When people start getting defensive, they usually start to close their mind to the other side. (Why can't I figure out how to do that more than 1 quote thingy that everyone does!!!) Oh well, on a diffent note since we've move a little away from electrical terms - When I worked at Walt Disney World (not as an engineer but a fry cook), everyone was hired as a CT (casual temporary) and worked up to a CR (casual regular).

brucechase said:
... Ron, contrary to what you claim, you are smart and you know a lot more than most BSers here or many other places so I'm not sure why you would question this (especially if it is industry specific).

I guess the point I'm getting at is it seems there has been a lot of animosity on this site. There has been emotions running high on quite a few posts that, for me, is detracting why I come here. I have little interest (at least when I come here) in religion, politics, gas prices, and other off topic things. This is really counter productive and seems to be getting more the norm here.

That said, once I had to put MOVs on a MOV.

In case anyone wanted to know about this last statement (which I guess no one really cares), on my first job I was asked to look at the MOVs. Since much of my schooling was electronic (and power) in nature, I thought that I was looking for some metal oxide varistors (MOV) when my boss wanted me to look at the powerhouse motor operated valve (MOV). In the end, I did put some lightning protection at the motor hence I put the MOVs on the MOV.

Last edited: