Mapping SLC500 I/O to S7

compulan

Hi guys,
I already have a WINCC connected with S7-400 PLC's and I want to read the I/O's of an AB SLC500, without making any changes in the AB PLC. Can I do that?

Hi compulan.

Yes, you can do that.
You need an OPC server for the SLC500.
Rockwell RSLinx Single node, or RSLinx OEM seems right.
Depending on the exact model SLC500 (you didnt state which - tsk tsk), you will also need a comms card in the PC.
SLC5/01, SLC5/02, SLC5/03 communicates via DH485.
SLC5/04 comminucates via DH+.
SLC5/05 communicates via ethernet.
An Allen Bradley 1785-PKTX card connects to both DH485 and DH+. The PKTX card fits into a regular PCI slot.

Thanx JesperMP,
The model is SLC5/03 and is connected to a panelview 600. The panelview has a free DH485 slot, where I connect my Laptop with PIC-1747 cable to monitor/change PLC software.
The solution you suggest is a way, but it requires new PCI cards for the PC. I was thinking of connecting the AB PLC with the S7 PLC and getting the AB data through the S7. Is there a way to "transform" the DH485 data to Profibus?

In this thread is a suggestion for such a converter:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=15764
If you look for "DH485 Profibus Converter" on google you will find other possibilities as well.

But count on that these special converters cost more than a PKTX card, not less.
Also, I think that if you want to pass the data to the S7 PLC via DH485/Profibus, then you have to configure some messaging in the SLC PLC. I dont think that the S7 PLC by itself can poll data from the SLC. I may be wrong though. If I am right you will have to make some changes to the SLC program.

If you have to make changes to the SLC program anyway, then a neater (but still not less expensive) solution could be to install a Profibus card in the SLC rack.
SST makes such modules (www.mysst.com).