ML 1000 Fault

Allen Bradley recently got a bunch of ML1000 with bad com ports that causes the processor to fault, usually after the power is cycled. I ran into 3 of these units at work recently. Sometimes you can get the ML1000 to come back to life by cycling the power on and off a few times, but it won't last. May give you time to retrieve the program. Contact your AB distributor about an exchange, they are trying to get all the defective units back and don't have any problem replacing the units.

It does sound like the controller is unrecoverable, if you have a solid red fault light. It could be an out-of-the-box failure, or a power spike, or just a component failure. I haven't heard about any bad batches of controllers, or at least it's not an official service advisory.

A solid red light indicates a genuine unrecoverable failure. Call your distributor and treat it like any other repair.