DH-485 Configuration/nodes

Rob D.

Hello all, I'm setting up a mini DH-485 network with around 10 SLC5/03's (1747-L532 C/D, with OS302) using the 1747-AIC's. When I get 4 or more connected I frequently see in RSLinx the nodes dropping out (or not recognizing them). Cabling has been verified several times. RSLinx has each laptop (5-7 laptops total) connected as a different node address (different from each other and different from the PLCs).

It appears you can configure the PLC's "node" in either the "Controller Properties" folder under the "Controller Communications" tab, or in the "Channel Communications" folder" under the "Chan. 1 - System" tab. When I looked at both of these, I noticed different node numbers. My question is, should these be the same? or does one have precedence over the other?

Thanks,

the one in controller properties is the route the pc looks to connect to the plc

The other one (channel config) is the actual plcs node address.
Whats your baud rate set at in here?

I have a 5 node DH485 network here which is doing minimal messaging which used to seem ok speed wise, now im used to other networks it is woefully slow.

When doing uploads etc, i have seen the other nodes drop out like you mention.

Like Andrew i`ve seen the red X alot also. This might speed it up a little? Open up linx and go to configure drivers and set your max to one more than your using. If using dde your can also set the up date rate on the stuff you don`t need to see fast, but if you need to see something fast use a different network.
dh485.jpg

Are you connecting your RSLinx PC to the network via a 1747-UIC? I haven't seen this myself, but I have heard similar stories and some of these folks were told by Rockwell that this was a bug in the UIC. I will search the Knowledgebase for follow up.