WinCC + several s7-300 through MPI

girevik

Hello,

i'm going to collect the data in WinCC from several PLCs S7-300, is it a good idea to connect all of them through MPI and to the PC at the end... or there is a better decision?

And in case of some PLCs have OPs connected through MPI, would it make any problems?

i'm thinking about cable traveling like PLC1>OP1>PLC2>OP2>PLC3>OP3>PC...

thanks

PeterW said:
I would look at ethernet rather than MPI.
do you mean mpi/ethernet cables or using CPs in the PLCs?

and would be mentioned scheme (PLC1>OP1>PLC2>OP2>PLC3>OP3>PC) possible at all?

I'm not a wincc user so wouldn't know what options are available.

I do know that MPI is quite slow, so if it is an option and your dragging lots of data out of them, you may slow your OP's interface down.

gerevic

If you can go with the ethernet option (via CP's on the 300 racks) for connection to the WinCC PC, that would be your best option.

I would avoid MPI if possible, especially with OP's hanging off them.

Do your S7 300's all have profibus ports?

That would be your next option, if you have profibus ports available then use them for the WinCC.

Paul

PLucas,

no, those stations does not have profibus ports, they have MPI only..

I will consider ethernet option.. would i use a HUB to connect several stations to the PC?

thanks!

If you do go the ethernet option, You may consider using Netlinks

http://www.ibhsoftec-sps.de/

There are drivers for WinCC + Protool and will cost you a fraction of what a CP card will

Yes you can use Hubs etc

Regards

STL

Last edited:
STL???,

thanks for the info.. although i cant fine their rep. in Russia, do you know the estimate price for such adapter?

girevik,

if you anyway would try to hit by MPI, note that mpi is for some reason very length limited (unlike profibus)... i dare to connect OP170+CPU+PC(5611) on MPI... but no more... profibus or ethernet would be really much better

(MPI)

Configuration Notes:
The maximum line length in an MPI subnetwork is 50m for a baud rate of up to 187.5 Kbaud with non-isolated interfaces.
Between nodes with isolated MPI interface the line length of a segment can be up to a maximum of 1000m, provided the transmission rate of 187.5 Kbaud is not exceeded.

(PROFIBUS)
Network topology: Bus, tree structure with the use of repeaters
Medium: Shielded, twisted pair cable
Possible segment lengths:
(depending on the cable
type, see Table 3.1)
1,000 m For transmission rates up to 187.5 Kbps
400 m For a transmission rate of 500 Kbps
200 m For a transmission rate of 1.5 Mbps Mbps
100 m For transmission rates of 3.6 and 12 Mbps
Number of repeaters connected
in series:
Maximum 9
Number of nodes: Maximum 32 on one bus segment
Maximum 127 per network when using repeaters
Transmission rates: 9.6 Kbps, 19.2 Kbps, 45.45 Kbps, 93.75 Kbps, 187.5 Kbps, 500 Kbps, 1.5Mbps, 3 Mbps, 6 Mbps, 12 Mbps