Micrologix 1200 analog I/O

PLCgirl

I'm a student doing an independent project on the Micrologix 1200 additional module that has analog I/O. I'm having trouble finding resources on how to configure it, and the difference in programming. In the end, I have to voltage reading IR sensors that I want to use a compare functions with. Can I do this? Are there any good resources or sample programming out there?

4-20 scaled for PID

Its not in any book I have, but , be aware that the
'Scaled for PIC' option for the analog input of a
1200 micro logic yields a raw data of from 3560 to 15522
(or something close to this)

I think the 1200, like the 1500, has a SCP function available. That lets you enter min and max raw data and min and max engineering units, and output the measured value in engineering units as an integer. If you go into the RSLogix I/O configuration you can tell the program you have an analog card, and it should tell you the raw data range it will provide. I haven't used the 1200, but this should help you get started. Try the RSLogix on-line help and search for SCP and for I/O configuration.

yup

The SCL and SCP instructions ARE available in the 1200, according
to Rockwell Publication 1762-RM001C-EN-P "Instruction
Set Reference".

In general answer to the original query, the procedure for
solving this problem is:

1.) Convert analog input raw data to an integer value, representative
of engineering units.

2.) Confirm, via use of OVERRANGE and UNDERRANGE bits that the
analog input is valid for use.

3.) Compare the confirmed converted analog input value to some
constant or entered value, using the GRT/NEQ type instructions.

I recently set up a micrologix 1200 for heating controls on multiple machines. My sensors were type "J" thermocouples. These were connected to transducers with type "J" TC inputs scaled 0 to 500 deg F. and 4 - 20 milliamp output. The 4 to 20 ma signal was connected to the inputs on the 1762-IF4 input modules. For scaling in the program I first set up the input in the IO configuration screen, after you add the IF4 to the configuration, double click on it, this will allow the setup. You can select "Raw Data" or "Scaled for PID. I scaled for PID. Here you also set the input 4 to 20 ma or -10 to +10 VDC, depending on your sensors output. Then in your logic add a PID instruction. You can set the scaling here,(as I did 0 to 500 deg F). You can then either use the PID for control or just use the scaled value in the PID for your control. The other option is to use raw data on the configuration screen and a SCP (scale with parameters) command to compute the engineering units. I used the PID output % value to compute a cycle time for heaters. This system worked great.

Take a look at this simple file I made for the Micrologix 1200. The SCP instruction scales the 4-20mA signal to 0-100%. You can then use it in an EQU instruction to turn on an output.. just an example

thanks

Thanks everyone for your help, this should keep me busy doing research and playing for awhile. I guarantee though, there will be questions in the future so look out for me. Thanks! Jac