Panelview NM11 memory cards

mike p

Is there some special formatting that AB does to the PCMCIA cards that ship with Panelviews? (2711-NM11) I have some Centennial Technologies PCMCIA SRAM recharge cards that I can save PVA files to, but when I put one into a Panelview to download, it says file not supported. Can you use aftermarket PCMCIA cards on Panelviews?

Thanks for any responses, you people are sharp.

The old -NM11 cards are Linear Flash cards, not the modern ATA Flash cards.

Linear Flash was the betamax of the PCMCIA memory business a decade ago. It was faster than ATA Flash, so applications can run directly from the card. PanelView "e" terminals have this ability.

But it faded from the market and I haven't seen a laptop built in the past 5 years that supports Linear Flash cards.

PanelView Standard terminals prior to version 3.0 firmware only support these older Linear Flash cards, and most computers can't support the cards.

Newer PV Standard terminals can support ATA Flash cards as well as the old Linear Flash type including most CompactFlash cards with Type II adapters.

But universal compatibility isn't guaranteed. I have only found a small number of ATA cards that the PV Standard won't support, but I never determined precisely why.