Network Setup

mull982

Hello

I am relatively new to the PLC industry however I do have some experience with programming in Siemens and AB software. (Step7 and RSLogix 5000). However I was wondering where I could find information (a tutorial etc..) on how to set up a control network. For instance, how to set up a network where multiple controllers communicate with each other, and all of the controlers communicate with a host computer running the programming software.

I was wondering how to set up such thing as software/hardware interfacing on the host computer, ethernet connections for the host and controllers, assigning ip addresses, DeviceNet interfacing etc....

I would appreciate any information, or any leads as to where i can find this kind of information.

Thank You

Do you know what kind of network you would like to use? There are many different options. One place to look is on the PLC manufacturer's websites. For example if you go to www.ab.com and go to the network section http://www.ab.com/networks/ you will see the various networks Allen-Bradley PLCs can communicate over. They all have their own pros and cons such as price, speed, etc. Once you have narrowed down your selection you can download and read the manuals which often show what you need as far as hardware goes. Have fun.